Supernait 3 and XS3 without MM?

I adore my xs2 into HiCap Dr…would have been great to get a brand new sealed Supernait 2 ( or 3, sans MM ). I like the 2 box count also, so not going separates…

I ran an XS 2 + HiCap DR for a while as a primary system then ran the XS 2 as a front channels amp in av bypass mode in another 5.1 surround system.
Agree that it’s a nice combo, in my case I was lucky to source a little used and few years old SN2 at a decent price and build around that in my home office system. It’s a nice step up from the XS to the SN and with a HiCap added to tame it a little on the bottom end and let it breathe a bit more became a sound I stuck with for some time.
I’d have happily stuck with both NAITs as is, I just happened to get a decent trade in offer and the age of my NAITs meant it was a good time to liquidate their value and there was certainly an increase in demand for the SN2 following the release of the SN3 as owners of SN2’s like myself took an opportunity to refresh their NAIT systems and start a new system journey.
Do report back on where your own journey takes you, I’m sure whether you end up with a SN2 or SN3, you’ll like what you find, having a HiCap to take along for the ride is a bonus of course too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hang on there…by your toes :grinning:

SN3 coming up…

Will be worth it I think

1 Like

That’s optional…

For all the hoo haa I personally did on earlier threads regarding HCDR I find myself content with a bare SN2…

4th disc spinning today…

Lack of availability at my location helps of course… :grinning:

1 Like

Sounds like a plan my man, It’s Friday, and close to Beer O’Clock, at least round these parts :wink:

Comparing my SN3 with my 272/250DR at the moment. Interesting. The SN3 is no slouch but it does lack the headroom and relaxing flow and low end grip and definition from the separates. With easier to drive speakers (Using Harbeths) I’d keep it for sure.

Richard, you deleted my defensive retort to Naim-Dragon but not the personal insult from him to me? Please bare in mind he/she started it?

The only conclusion I can draw from that is you are biased and unfair.

I hope I get to delete my account before you do as this is NOT an objective forum ( just an unfriendly and sarcastic one under your editorial subjectiveness).

Personally, I’m glad to see the back of you and your selective and unfair censorship.

1 Like

How do I delete my account, please do it for me you unfair man…

Wise words, I went from a Stageline, XS2 & Hicap DR to just the SN3 and built-in phono stage. To my ears it’s better.

1 Like

If you click on the three dots, you can flag the offending post which was an unnecessary personal attack. I saw you one-line approach which was deleted.

Naimette, I removed your post which was a clear breach of forum rules - a direct personal attack. The other post I judged to be not a direct personal attack, but rather a judgement of the thread itself, not of the person. It’s a small but significant difference as far as the rules are concerned.

I have messaged you.

I’ve never been bothered what inputs or features an amp has. As long as it does what I want it to and sounds great I don’t care if it has an input I’ll never use.
In 40 years of this hobby I’ve never used every input on an amplifier.

5 Likes

Leaving out the circuit components for a MM stage might save £5 worth of components but would incur all the costs of supporting a variant of the original design. The idea that it might save £200 on the sale price is absurd.

Naim will never do this because there would be no market for the same amplifier but without the MM at the same price as with MM. That’s the economic truth.
Best

David

3 Likes

Hi Naimette,
I see your point and do agree with it (a little). But ultimately I think Naim are quite justified in the way they have spec’d these amps.

When I bought my Supernait (first year they came out) I was not listening to digital much at all and was a bit miffed that they included the DAC. I really felt as DAC technology was progressing so quickly that it should at the very least be an optional and upgrade able ‘module’. That said I bought the Supernait as it filled the needs of a one box solution that rocked.

The addition of a phono in the Supernait 3 to me feels like a very apt part of a Nait. The original Nait and most all up till the 5? had the option of phono built in (cards). The addition of a phono feature I am reasonably confident did not add as much cost to the unit as the DAC did in the original Supernait and also likely has NO detriment on sound quality as the DAC could be argued does have.

I am looking to upgrade my Supernait to a newer version. I am glad the DAC will be gone (plan will be adding an ND5XS2) and I do not need a MM phono as I have a Prefix phono which is excellent. I would say the inclusion of a MM phono will be of no worry and actually likely a good extra for a die hard LP lover as there will be times I need to have a MC cartridge re-tipped etc and I will have a MM cart and phono on had to use at any such moment!

Just some thoughts for you. I see your point but I think you will end up happy with the Supernait 3 as is!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.