Supernait 3 + ND5XS2 Sounds "slow"

Or perhaps a cheaper solution is to revert to the Nait XS3 but as few have suggested, I cannot imagine the Supernait 3 sounding noticeably worse than the Nait XS3. I appreciate listening preference will be a factor but Nait XS3 has better punch and bass than the Supernait 3? It doesn’t sound quite right as it should be the other way round??

I plugged it directly into the wall socket now and it didn’t solve the problem. I can’t imagine that a 4K euro amp requires a 3K power conditioner to sound well. If so it would be a very very poor designed amp and it wouldn’t receive such raving reviews everywhere.

I can’t imagine that this issue is due to the fact that the ND5XS2 is not good enough of a source component. Of course a NDX2 is a better partner but it should still sound good with an ND5XS2. It is not a Sonos Connect or something that we are talking about here…

I thought you only have one socket at the wall and all your components are connected to a power strip that goes to that wall socket. If your SN3 goes directly to the wall, how about the rest of the components?

The rest of the components go now into a power strip as before but that is now connected to a socket that is 2m further that than the socket behind the amp

If that’s the case then it’s not the mains. Surprising the XS3 sounds inferior to the SN3. Perhaps the easiest way is to go back to the XS3 and you’ve got a winner in having a superior sounding amp which costs less.

Personally I have never experienced better prat and involvement with a higher quality power cable or powerblock.
More details, bass, soundstage, naturalness,…yes
IMHO, Xs3 works better in the OP system vs SN3. With different speakers and room, things could be different.
It’s what happened to me when I finally preferred the 250dr vs 300dr, despite the fact that the 300dr is better on paper.

1 Like

I moved the units to my other set in my other room where the xs3 was moved to.
I connected the Nd5xs2 and compared both units. Prat seems equal but the bass punch and impact is definitely less on the SN. It’s more towards the background and less in your face. The slam is also noticeably less while details are more obvious and more insight of what’s going on in the track. It’s as if the bass just became super lean and lost all roundness. I used the same cabling to compare them.

Used WH Phantom speaker cables in this setup

Both units are plugged directly into the wall here

Maybe I am wrong, but normally the SN3 should give more bass and impact vs the XS3.
You can prefer the XS3, can sound more involving or better balanced with your system, but it should not give more bass and impact vs the SN3.
Maybe you should bring it back to your dealer to test?
Other should confirm, or not.

1 Like

@Stephen_Tate, you agreed apparently. You have the nait5i, now SN2. You probably heard the XS.
Don’t you find weird that XS can have more bass and slam vs SN?

I’m starting to doubt too if the unit is OK.

1 Like

May be you have a fuller bass now that means you need to adjust the speaker position…this happened to me when changing amps…

Hi FR, neither actually. I went from 5Si to XS 2 now SN3. XS 2 was the slowest of the three, SN3 by far the quickest.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s strange. I would check at dealer place and compare to another SN3 unit.

2 Likes

Hey Endon.
The receptacle I get is the Hubbell 5362 Heavy Duty Grade. In Canada it costs $40, plus I pay an extra $10 for the Deep Cryo treatment.
I use Take Five Audio (obviously Brubeck/Desmond fans), and their Cryo treatment is pretty specialized. It takes something like 48 hours total to do it.
Anyway, you can see the product on their site under the DIY heading. But it must be available locally for you.
Cheers.

Dave

Yes, that’s what I thought too. It’s like saying NAP200 has better slam and and impact in the bass than NAP250DR, or 250DR vs 300DR. Preference is one thing, but deeper bass with better punch, impact and layering etc., it’s either a lean and one-note bass (inferior) or a fuller, deeper and layered bass with punch, presence and impact (superior). This shouldn’t be a preference UNLESS the person prefers a lean, light and one-note bass which he regards as better or superior.

2 Likes

So we seem to agree. The SN should sound fuller and more impactful vs the XS.
As for personal preference, I prefer the more impactful and with more bass presentation too, if it’s well integrated and not boomy or having too much importance vs other parts of the sound.

2 Likes

I fully agree with you too. I like having a full punchy sound

2 Likes

Hi anolog, maybe a stupid question but why is it important to plug in your amp directly into the wall socket? Regards, Niels

very good question

if you add an extension, it goes through one extra fuse…

also most mains extensions aren’t that good in that they use think metallic bars instead of being soldered with copper wire which means the current flow isn’t as good the further away the socket is from the mains wires

power amps need as much current as they can get- and the best way is to plug it directly into the wall.