Supernait 3 - Not So Super?

Correct and it should have the new amp design (based on the NC250) with added DR Technology that they use in the current SN3. Would be a stonker if it comes out

2 Likes

Ditto ain’t that the truth. :joy: :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Yeah man. No need to fret, NDX 2 & SN3 owners are living it up, looking forward to the new ‘ground breaking’ future replacements that Naim are marinading. In the meantime, enjoy!:blush:

3 Likes

naim gave detailed stats on the relay failure time on the New Classic thread.

These are new breed relays.

If I bought a NC it’s safe to say these relays would outlive me, based on the figure given on number of operations to failure.

2 Likes

Been reading this thread for a couple of days now. I bought my new SN3 a couple of months ago and then added a HiCap DR shortly thereafter. As a fledgling audiophile I might not know how to spell PRaT but I do know great musical sound when I hear it and the SN3 is fantastic. I just ordered a used NDX2 and can not wait to get into my system!

14 Likes

Thanks for digging that one out, here’s another on the anticipated relay life

@Stephen_Tate - I asked about this a while back, sharing your concerns. I know any moving component has the potential for failure, but the response seemed like Naim have thought it though, and tested, which you’d kinda expect :slight_smile:

There was another post, IIRC, that stated the failure mode of the volume control would still allow the amp to work, just missing out the affected “step” in the volume control sequence.

2 Likes

Congrats and enjoy! Very nice combo you have for yourself. Good choice on a used NDX2. If you are a “tinkerer” there are a few free tips that can bring nice improvements. I think Mr. Tate alluded to it. Try to get your cables hanging free and loose not touching each other if possible. I found HUGE benefits making sure power cables don’t touch signal cables. Shocking how little things really add up… I cleaned up the cables from the HiCapDr to SN3 and was pleasantly surprised by the uplift. Not huge but noticeable.

5 Likes

That’s reassuring to know. If i had the funds (which i do not, and am happy where i am for the moment) i wouldn’t hesitate in ordering a new 200 or 300 New Classic system. Give it a few years and i’m sure we’ll all be there some day. It took me nearly twenty years to move from slimline Olive to Classic. There’s no rush as it were… :joy:

2 Likes

From the responses here and my own additional enthusiasm for the SN2, time to ‘re:naim’ the thread - Supernait 3. Certainly Super.

9 Likes

No issue. I have had a good few Naim set ups over the years and now just run a Supernait 3. LOVE IT!

9 Likes

I m really curious about the nac 332, it will not be a statement but it shares the same dna. Let’s hope to hear it the soonest

1 Like

I agree with GTaudiophile’s comments between SN2 and SN3 having done the same upgrade myself. The SN3 to me also sounded more responsive/faster in delivering the musical changes in songs than the SN2 and definately more quantity and quality of bass and more so with a HiCap DR on it.
I demoed the SN3 against the new Krell 300 because I thought my large floorstanding speakers would perform better with a more powerful amp than my SN2 at the time but the SN3 was just so much more musical than the Krell so went for the SN3.
The SN3 is a very very good integrated amplifier in my experience.

9 Likes

In mine too…

3 Likes

My SN3 is the first piece if Naim kit I’ve had, extremely happy, can’t see me upgrading :thinking::thinking:
I’m in need of a better source (currently squeezebox touch->arcam ir dac), I’m pretty sure I can get better from the SN3.

2 Likes

You could do a lot worse than an ND5XS2.

6 Likes

Definitely on my short list Jim.

When I was deciding where to move on from the 5si I spent some time on the forum and found that the Supernait, XS, and other amps have a lot in common - they are a little bit picky when it comes to the electricity and grounding.
Some people were unable to solve these issues. For example, the guy who bought my 5si was unable to eliminate the hum. At that time I’d have bought the amp back, but I had already bought a new one. And of course I’ve chosen the one that does not require exercising with mains, grounding, or DC breakers, etc. Additionaly, it has a smooth power on feature which I find very useful. So, no popping sound on the amp start, and no need to heat the air the entire year.

I should admit that I declined the SN3 because I was unable to audition it. Instead, I bought an amp of the same class with a very Naimish sound signature. However, if the SN3 had been available for auditioning, who knows, I may have tried it.

1 Like

Secret ?

It’s listed in Pauel’s profile, 404 Reference (from Moonriver Audio)

For my part, the Supernait 3 with the power line lite standard cable played asleep and left me wanting more!
It was then plugged into the wall with a normal standard outlet - cheap.
I changed my standard wall outlet socket with a Wattgate Evo 381 gold.
What change!
The Supernait 3 immediately gained strength, speed, definition etc…
At that moment I saw all the real quality of the device.
I love this amp!

2 Likes