Supernait 3 or NAP 200 DR+ NAC 202

And so it begins!!!

I am no expert in the technical department – I am a social scientist by training, and teach and research in Social Policy… :blush:

But I think the car analogy works well here. The added benefit of a powerful car is marginal when thinking about maximum speed – read volume when thinking about hifi. But a car with many horses under the bonnet has still advantages when accleration is suddenly needed or whebn one goes up a steep hill without wanting to loose any speed… Most power amp can go loud enough to damage your hearing, but they migth struggle when going up a hill or when accelleration is needed – in hifi terms, demanding music pushing speakers and in turn the amplification, that is when distortion for instance enters the scene…

The more technically educated forum members migth shake their heads now – running for cover… :rofl:

1 Like

The main difference between the NAP 200 and NAP 250 is available power reserve. The 200 provides 70W per channel at 8 Ohms with a transformer delivering 300VA of transient power.
The NAP 250 ups that to 80W @ 8 Ohms with 400VA of transient power.
There is no ceiling here of course in terms of an upgrade journey, as many will likely point out, the challenge is knowing where to stop and assume a state of contentment.
This is derived from a number of factors including your available budget, time to enjoy the system, space the system will live in and willingness to experiment and maybe make mistake and need to swap things on the way.
If you end up with a 202/200 you probably won’t have it long and will be constantly yearning after more and probably not be happy till you have a 282/250 with at least a HiCap DR hanging off it for good measure (2 ideally of course)
Maybe get a Supernait 2 to tick you over, build the budget to get a 282/250 with a HiCap and cut to the chase!

1 Like

What’s(are) your source(s)?
Thanks
David

A Chord Hugo 2 with 2go streaming module – love the drive of Naim and the detail coming from Chord. :grinning:

1 Like

Nice combo, I’ve got a Hugo 2 but no 2go, may have to get one to have a dabble.
I do also have a Mojo+Poly and use it with headphones, similar setup.

3 Likes

I have Chord TT2 above my 202-Napsc2-200DR combo…
Back on topic, I think SN3/202-200dr level of amp is good and adequate enough for pmc 24 speakers and Naim ndx as source: all the three parts of the system are well balanced with each other…Imo, of course!
David

1 Like

I am quite pleased with the 2go – turned the Hugo into a great streamer with portability. Previously I used an Allo USBridge Signature (actually I still have it – waiting to be used with a new DAC [to be purchased] and SN2 in a second system). I got the 2go when building work was going on – i.e. the main system went into boxes… So I didn’t do an A/B comparison, and in the meantime a slimed down system (for the time being only) was put up in the new loft room. To cut a long story short, I can’t really say whether the 2go adds much more than the Allo – but it looks much neater (good for people with OCD like myself) and when travelling is back on the agenda Hugo will be once again a world traveller – and this time with a new mate… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice one – great DAC and superb headphone amp. I have Sennheiser’s HD800S, and these do like the TT2 more than the Hugo 2… :unamused:

1 Like

Apologies to the OP for getting off topic…

Personally, I would put more thoughts into the “endgame” – this might save you quite some monies in the long run. Also, have you considered buying ex-demo or used?

Not all but the majority of my gear is pre-loved – Naim is built to last, and it can be serviced easily if you live in the UK. All my Naim boxes weren’t new, and this allowed me to climb up the ladder…

4 Likes

Minor deviation, it was source related so sort of on topic!
Talking of which, you could also add an XPS DR power supply to the NDX, this could also be used down the line on an NDX2 if you went that route.
You could do that and add a Supernait 2 + HiCap DR then worst case you could add a NAP 200 to the mix then swap out the SN2 for a NAC 282.
Trading in with a decent local dealer is a sensible route, let them know your preferences and wish list items and they’ll keep you informed on demo stock rotation and any kit coming in from other customers as trade in items.
It’s certainly a good way to acquire power supplies from a reliable source at decent discounts on list, the dealer I use here in the UK like many others I imagine rotates their demo stock often enough to pick up bits you need every couple of years on your own kit swapping/updating cycles.

thanks for the reassurance.

1 Like

Thanks, the the 282 will need a HiCap - all combined that would be about double the monetary outlay to the 202/200. Need to stick with the current options and look to add the HiCap/NAPSC at some point if I went this route as the upgrade path.
Am I right in understanding that adding a HiCap to the SN3 effectively makes the SN3’s own power supply/resource redundant? If yes that sounds wasteful ?

1 Like

The NAP 200 DR can power the NAC 282 without a HiCap (which can always be added later). The 282/200 combination is excellent.

A HiCap DR acts as a dedicated 24v supply for the Preamp of the Supernait 3. The internal supply always provides power to the power amp section of the Supernait unless you were using it only as a preamp and with a HiCap, in which case, the internal supply would be redundant, but then so would other parts of the product.

That is a point but not entirely as the HC only powers the re-stage on the SN3. Can your dealer lend you a 282, powered by the 200 it is really very good indeed.

Regards,

Lindsay

No, it doesn’t need it if you have a Nap200(DR), but it’s worth having!

When considering a 200, it is worth to keep on the radar that DR technology is only used when powering the 202 or 282. The actual power-amp stage of the 200 and 200DR is identical. So if a Hicap DR is penciled in as a future update, a 200 non-DR might be the better option – and saved monies remain in the piggy bank to get to the Hicap DR more quickly. :smiley:

5 Likes

Could I use my old XS as the Power AMP for now with the 282 as the Pre?

Yes but it wouldn’t power the like the 200 can so you’d need the HC.