Supernait 3 or NAP 200 DR+ NAC 202

Do you currently run this without the HICAP? I ask as 2 dealers and they were quite unsure :grinning:

These are words i ( we) should live by , in this hobby. Well said , Sir.

2 Likes

Appreciated, good to be back and have a little time to contribute again!
My only worry reading all this is I’ll start tinkering again and NAC shopping :relaxed:

1 Like

I just recall sitting in a building site (our home that is) with our first child a matter of weeks old, sat listening to the radio on a multi box system thinking, “I probably should review my priorities” :rofl:
I do get the urge to tinker again but the system I currently have delivers so much I settle back to enjoying it again and the thoughts subside.
I’d like a better turntable though!

1 Like

I understand what you’re saying Sir: the desire to purchase a new toy… I have my modest UQ2 for 5 years and for a couple of years now I would like to exchange it for a Nova. but the limitations inherent to my physical space of hearing in addition to my wife’s unemployment, made the purchase of, being sincere a luxury, indefinitely postponed.

Yes, current using 282/200 DR without HiCap. Because this is an option with the 200 but not the 250 (or higher), there’s a considerable cost difference. That said, my dealer has advised that adding the HiCap would be a good upgrade, but I can pursue this on my own timing rather than committing to the cost of the HiCap at the same time as the cost of the 250 DR. While I have no doubt that adding a HiCap would result in an improvement, I am enjoying the 282/200 combination very much.

The 282 can also be powered by either a SN2/3 or XS2/3 while the latter are in power amp mode. I did this with my XS2 while I waited for delivery of my 200 DR and it worked fine. The 200 DR, however, is a material improvement.

Thanks and much appreciated. I’ve decided to go the separates route. Going to look around for a demo 282 that might be more affordable. Get the impression the 202 isn’t very popular :cry:.
Really curious to hear the 282 .

My dealer, who is very knowledgeable and helpful, felt strongly that the 282 was materially better than the 202. I didn’t compare the two preamps, but have buyer’s remorse at my purchase.

Thought you had the 282 so why the remorse ?

Sorry, wasn’t clear. I upgraded from XS2 to 282/200. No remorse at all.

3 Likes

When I stepped into Naim amplification like you I compared the Supernait, the original in my case, to a 202/200 combo and the latter came as something of a relief. Even then people were posting on the forum about there not being much in it but one man’s close is another’s different level. Anyhow, I took the combo home but my wife thought it wasn’t a big enough step up over my existing Rega combo so the 282/hi/250 came for a visit. This got approval from both of us but I couldn’t stretch to it all at once, I was generatng enough surplus at the time to buy it piecemeal at around 1 box a year and had a half used Flatcap 2x that could power a 282 while using my Rega power amp, which suited my speakers well enough to be going on with. In the end it took me 4 years to complete the system with the 250 but I got sidetracked by a superline and an Aro, when, what I’d gone to the dealership for was the Hicap on both occasions.

2 Likes

I don’t know about the Nait XS2 but the first Naim amp I tried was the original XS and it sounded very mediocre when I compared it against the Rega Elicit mk2 in my system. Guess what, they both sound almost alike. Several weeks later I got the 202/200 into the system and the amps surely sounded a lot better, transformed my Harbeth SHL5 speakers from flat and boring to fun.

1 Like

First, I wish you luck and plenty of pleasure with your future choice.

Second, I would like to stress that no one is more qualified than yourself to make the proper decision since these are your speakers playing your music at your choice of volume in your room. What works for others in their homes is less significant.

Instead of getting help in choosing between A and B you are persuaded by some who have more advanced components that your choices are somehow lacking and you are being directed to more expensive combinations. Is that what you wanted?

It is a bit disheartening to see you searching for something other than the original gear you have been auditioning to just because someone had suggested so and not because you didn’t like the sound of the 200/202 or the SN 3.

10 Likes

Totally agree!

1 Like

Thanks for the response and advice. I still have the 200/202 on the trial and enjoying it. The pragmatic hat does get put back on after drinking from the forums hydrant. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
I’ve really enjoyed all the posts here- its made this process more enjoyable.
To me coming from the XS the 200/202 has been a real step up. There is more detail coming through and the speakers are much better controlled.
‘Ventura Highway’ was just playing on the radio the ‘guitar section’ in the track sounded the most musical I’ve heard in a long time. Certainly curious to listen to the 282 but unlikely I would be able to make the extra investment have several competing priorities.

1 Like

That’s what we all said - until we heard it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

The trick is not to hear it if it’s not an option.

Listen with your wallet.

282 up and running . Couldn’t resist the temptation :joy:. It does move the experience to another level. Have it for a few days . This 282 needs a bit of running in so am sure we have a way to go.

1 Like

I know what you mean