Supernait 3 upgrade path

I could, and have, bought into that idea but I like ‘resolving’ (if I think I understand what you mean by that). The Chord DACs are so expressive and have such clarity, which for me makes the music (and I value music over HiFi). If you suggest that a Qutest clearly shows how a Naim DAC could improve, I wonder what it is you’re listening to in your NDX?

I suppose it depends what you want and what you like. Naim must be doing something to please me as the signal is being sent through a smorgasbord of Naim equipment! But the current streamer sources really feel, and sound, like a case of badge over value.

It wasn’t my NDX but a friend who has both. We compared NDX and NDX/555 vs the Chord. NDX was the source to the Chord.

I agree that the Chord DAC is more resolving but if you don’t enjoy listening to it then what’s the point. It was a pretty revealing system (282/SuperCap/300/Kudos C10) but to my ears the Naim source presented the music in a more meaningful way that kept my attention.

I can see why people like the Chord DAC, it’s forensic retrieval of detail can be appealing to some. The owner uses it for TV sound and it works really well for this.

I used to have an NDX but now have an NDS/555 DR which gives the best of both worlds!

2 Likes

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Thanks for the comments. I do like the sound of the Chord DAC so some things to think about there.

With the 282, one Hicap, two or the super cap? Anyone have experience on listening to all these?

Ooh that’s been discussed a lot.

Really useful thanks👍

A 250DR would be your next logical upgrade, then you would replace the Supernait with a NAC282 when you’re ready to upgrade again.

I picked up a 250 DR, 282 and another HicapDR to go with my other to power the 282.

Wow what a difference.

1 Like

With a 282/250 costing over £9,000 and a Supernait 3 costing £3,500, you’d rather hope there would be a difference.

5 Likes

Hi @all around here!

Thanks for Posting this Video, roda! It is very helpful.

I’ve had a SN3 since Summer 20 and have added a HC DR quickly after some weeks. I am very happy with the Setup. It shows far more musicality and clearness than my old Musical Fidelity 308.

Maybe in some years I will continue the “electronic Lego” :wink: You guys here have loads of more experience than I have in Naim gear. Maybe you could answer some questions for me?

1. What gives a better improvement? Adding a pre amp oder adding a power amp first?

2. How good is the power amp section of the SN3 compared to NAP 250 DR and 300 DR?

Thanks for your advices and stay healthy!

Greetings from Germany
Mike

Pre amps generally worth doing before power amps.
A better Pre will generally unleash more of the music and add extra clarity and openness. Providing the source is up to the job and why most follow the source first philosophy.

The Supernait amp section, as good as it is, is not a comparison for a 250 or above.
The 250 has so much more control of the speakers and grips them extremely well this is very noticeable with big transient changes within the music. In turn the music is much more free from the speakers and not stuck to them.

Best

Popeye

5 Likes

Thanks, Popeye!

So it should be a 282 or 252?

If I would buy a used one, how old could it be (without recapping)?

I personally haven’t heard the 252, so couldn’t comment. It’s said that the 252 is certainly superior but there are many that don’t like it’s presentation so you would need to hear for yourself.

Recapping is advised every 10-15 years for the classic series.

1 Like

Remember that if you wanted a 252 you’d need a Supercap to power it. Your Hicap won’t be able to do it.

I think a lot depends on your speakers and how large your room is. I recommended a 282/250 to Popeye a while ago, because he has large speakers that benefit from the control of a 250. But with easier speakers and / or a small room, the Supernait 3 may be all you need. I simplified my system recently and now have small speakers and a Supernait and I don’t feel it lacking. I suspect your B&Ws thrive on power. Changing speakers is another option and may be cheaper than upping the amplification.

2 Likes

Thanks again, popeye! :ok_hand:

1 Like

Thanks hungryhalibut!

Why won’t my HC not be able to power a 252?

I have about 30 square meters and my B&W 803 S are 15 years old. Actually I am very satisfied with my Setup, but a change of Speakers could also be an Option in some years. Which Speakers do you have?

The 252 needs a Burndy connection from a Supercap. I’d suggest you look at the main Naim website and learn what works with what, so you can make informed choices.

3 Likes

Absolutely, thanks for your advice. :ok_hand:

Did you need to purchase extra cables when using the SN as a power amp please?