Superuniti & Tidal Bass

BubbleUPNp Server does not support proxying of internet radio, only Qobuz and Tidal so there will be no benefit in installing.

1 Like

The bubble upnp server watches the streamer. If the current track came to an end the server tells the streamer the next track that the server has in its playlist. Unfortunately the server cannot distinguish between a track that has really came to its end or any other reason that made the track stop playing. So if you press the stop or next button, the current track stops. The server does recognize this and hands over the next track that starts to play.

So if you want to stop playing, better clear the playlist of the bubble server. Or play the last track and then stop this. In this case the server does not have a next track to let it start playing.

Thanks for the response, that’s helpful.

I’ve resorted to stopping the Bubble upnp server app on the QNAP after I finish listening to the Tidal tracks and that frees up the confused streamer.
I’m able to play tracks from my Tidal playlist in the Kazoo app with some ease now but for the life of me I can not figure out how to get it to stop repeating the track. I’ve referred to the Linn docs for the Kazoo app and it hasn’t shed any light. It doesn’t matter if I toggle the repeat function on or off (in Kazoo) the bubble server repeats it. Kinda frustrating. But damn, the Tidal tracks sound so much better now.

Hmm. The repeat function in the naim app is not activated? This would repeat the playing track and the bubble server never had a chance to advertise the next track.

Also you could try, just for a test, to uncheck the checkbox for gapless playback in bubble upnp server for the superuniti.

Is the firmware of the superuniti up to date? E.g. 4,6? In very early firmware versions there was a bug in gapless playback if the playlist was controlled externally like with the bubble upnp server.

One of the first things I checked is the repeat function in the Naim app but will check again to be sure.

I’ll try the gapless playback option in the bubble config settings. Hadn’t thought of that.

I’m pretty sure the SU firmware is current, I updated it a couple months ago but I’ll check to be sure.

Thanks for the input, this has me vexed.

I’m afraid I have no explanation for your problem, and I certainly haven’t experienced it myself. Something you could try is to use the Lumin app instead of Kazoo. I have no idea if this will make any difference, but if nothing else, it will at least help you determine if the problem lies with Bubble or Kazoo.

1 Like

It turns out gapless playback was not selected so I selected it and it solved my problem. I’m able to load my Tidal playlist and shuffle it with no issues now. Thanks for all the help.

Why does the Tidal stream sound better through the bubble upnp server? Is there a high level explanation that doesn’t get too far down in the weeds?

Most likely because the bubble server download the whole song in the buffer and feed to your streamer locally in a much more stable manner than going through the internet…

1 Like

Does that mean the Tidal input on the Naim streamer doesn’t have a buffer? I didn’t realize that. I’ve observed Radio Paradise (iRadio) has a buffer. It would seem Tidal would be able to do this. Or is it a shortcoming of the streamer. I don’t really understand these things. :smiley:

This is an issue that was discussed at length on the old forum. The old Naim streamers were designed before streaming from the web really existed, and had a small buffer which was fine for UPnP streams from local storage, but not really adequate to cope with the increased, and variable latency from web streams, especially Tidal. Naim have done what they can to optimise the firmware, but that can only achieve so much. The new streamers address this with a much larger buffer.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation, Chris. I tried mining this old information on the old forum but haven’t been very successful.

Unfortunately the search facility on the old forum archive only searches thread titles, so finding anything can be difficult.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.