SuperUniti Upgrade Conundrum

Thx @ChrisSU, I’ve read many of your posts and followed your progression. I’m sure the 282/250.2/HC route will sound great (am hoping to get it here at home from my dealer to test out) - just unsure as to sonic differences between .2 and DR versions of the 250.

Ideally I’d like to keep things at 4 boxes or so, if I go this route, may move on my CDX2, as I’m not using it that much anymore. I do have 4 level full Fraim, would probably need another level. Thx again for the input.

Yes, I’ve read that many have gone down that same path with excellent results (and many still waiting to see if there will be a refreshed 272)!

The consensus here, as you probably know, is that the 250DR is better than the 250.2 but there are those who prefer the older model, and it’s all too easy to assume than newer/more expensive = better. Also, what works well in one room and system may not work so well in another. Enjoy the demo. After all, you can have the 250 upgraded to DR spec later if you want.

1 Like

@Moff
Hi. I forgot to reference you initial post when I replied.
The 3rd option does seem to be best way forward, especially considering that when one takes a small step forward, one finds oneself lusting for an upgrade all too soon. And that dealer pricing sounds fairly attractive.

I would also think that the 3rd option would be enough of a jump in SQ over the 1st two options, that you could take your time having the 250.2, DR’ed. From what I’ve researched, the 282 is going to outperform all the other preamps by a noticeable margin.

Oh, and something to keep in mind regarding the 2nd option, is that the 272 does will not stream qobuz, and from what most people report; qobuz hi-res files sound significantly better than other streaming sources. Just a thot. It’s really too bad, cuz the 272 was on my shortlist a while back before I realized the issue.

Dave

@ChrisSU
Yes, right. Y’know, even while I was typing that post, I paused for a mo, and tried to visualize the connection, and wondered if I’d be just using the power amp section of the SN2. I really don’t want both preamps in the path, so I guess that’s what I’ll be doing.

I think I was hoping for digital out to analogue in. I guess that’s not going to happen.
Thanks very much Chris for pointing this out.

Dave

If you’re committed to a 2 box NDX2/Supernait or similar setup, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. It’ll still work fine. (If you think you might go further and get a separate pre/power amp, now’s the time to change your mind !)

1 Like

Yes, I do want to stick with a simpler setup. I’ve had separates in the past, a cj PV-5 pre with an Ayre power amp, among others; so I think I’ll be happy with the NDX2 & SN2. (Yeah sure, huh?)

The eventual decision will be whether I move to an SN3 or add a HiCapdr to the SN2. I believe the NDX2, when I get it, will eventually want a HC.

Dave

The NDX2 would need an XPS, not a Hicap. Personally I preferred the offboard DAC option rather than an offboard PSU.

Hi.
Which components would constitute an offboard Dac setup.
An XPS dr is pretty expensive in Canada, so the different components may be a cheaper and better way to go.

The Naim NDAC, now discontinued, has long been used as an upgrade to Naim streamers (with the option of further upgrades in future by adding a PSU to that if you want to.) Many of us use Chord DACs like this since the original Hugo appeared and caused a bit of a stir. Any DAC with an SPDIF input would work though. If you’re thinking of going down this route, you could get an ND5XS2 rather than the NDX2, as it still works very well as a digital transport.

Hmm … yeah, I see what you mean, Chris. I’ve read about the Hugo Dac fame. It gets excellent reviews, but since switching to Naim gear, I’ve been trying to stick with all Naim product. I guess from a purely SQ standpoint, that’s not a perfect methodology.

I’ll have to play around with the SU + SN2 for a bit, and think about all these options before I move further on. I really appreciate your time and assistance on this, as I am new to the Naim product (1 year), and I don’t want to misuse any money on my way to audio nirvana (Well … my level, anyway).

I’ll try the SU pre out, into the SN2 analogue in, and see how it sounds. Are you sure that this won’t damage anything? I’m thinking impedance issues.
Otherwise, I’ll just order a cable from Sounds Heavenly, to connect the SU pre out, to the SN2 main amp in.
And I guess the digital out, on the SU is only for an outboard Dac?
Cheers.

Dave

…if you search on NDX 2 XPS DR here on the forum I think you will find quite a few users who are quite happy with the sound with the dac supplied in the streamer. Hopefully you will have the opportunity to do a side by side listen at a dealer at some time in the future. There is also a lot of folks who have the SuperNait/HiCap with the NDX 2/XPS DR. So there is a lot of reading material by using the search function.

The NDX & SUPERNAIT thread has some good material scattered throughout.

For me box count and simplicity is important so having a four box system works best for my needs.

Good luck with you continued research and eventual decision(s)!

1 Like

@seakayaker
Thanks so much for the very helpful info. I’ll check out the threads you suggested and do some more research. I really enjoy the research.

I find the Dac in the SU to be really quite good, even compared to the internal Dac in my Linn Unidisk 1.1 which is no slouch. I just sold the Linn on the weekend, because I’m moving towards streaming more, and I’ll pick up a good CD Transport to play my CD collection.

I know that the Dac in the NDX2 has a newer, upgraded Dac board in it, so if it’s better than the SU Dac, then I believe I’ll be satisfied with it. And the streamer is also improved. They dropped the FM tuner, but I have a Rega Radio R, and a Luxman tuner, either of which will do the job.

And I also prefer to keep the box count to a minimum, but it sounds like I’ll be wanting a couple of PS boxes as well, down the road. Both ChrisSU and yourself recommend them highly. I do like the simple upgrades that are achievable with Naim products, without having to change out out one’s system.
Anyway, thanks for you help.
Cheers.

Dave

Hi, I think option 3 would definitely be the best sounding, option 2 the fewer boxes, hope it all comes together for you.

The other option would be a Nova /power amp, as I said my experience with Harbeths is that they require current, but I have the small P3ESR and I have seen comment on the Harbeth forum that these need more current than some larger Harbeths such as yours.

Well, quick update. After validating that the equipment my dealer had (282, 250.2, HC) was all 10+ years old, I didn’t want to have to factor in the likely cost for the HC & 250.2 to be Recapped and DR’d.

That said, I was able to get a pretty good deal and ordered a new NDX2 and SN3, both of which will be delivered tomorrow. Really excited to get it unboxed, hooked up on the Fraim, and begin the running in process (while also keeping the box count relatively small, but with PS options downstream)!

I appreciate everyone’s input, and all the valuable information contained within the Forum.

4 Likes

Congratulations! Enjoy going through your entire collection and rediscovering your favorite tracks. It’s time consuming, but so much fun.

Congratulations! I will look forward to you comments going forward and please take a photo and post in the ‘System Pics 2020’ thread when you have a chance.

Thanks @marcusman and @seakayaker - will certainly look forward to enjoying the music, and will definitely get a picture posted once everything is set up.

Nice one, that is a really nice outcome and you will be amazed, I’m sure.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.