Surprise performance of Ravel's Bolero stuns shoppers!

The fabulous Orchestra of Opera North appear from various corners of Trinity Leeds (UK) to perform a rip-roaring version of Ravel’s famous Bolero, to the surprise of shoppers.

vid length is 6 minutes long - well worth a watch and listen. Enjoy! : )

23 Likes

Ravel’s Bolero tailor made for a “flash mob” appearance by an orchestra, with the musicians turning up as their instrument makes it’s entrance.

Thanks for posting … just brilliant!

3 Likes

Splendid covert choreography, superb interaction with bypasses, i particular like the lady cellist encouraging the little girl to touch the strings of her cello, and then [ at 2 minutes in ] the man with double bass gracefully arriving down the escalator, i remain to wonder where those kettle drums were hiding. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

That was brilliant. Thank you so much for posting that Debs.
You dont get that kind of shopping experience on the river😉

2 Likes

We don’t usually get that kind of shopping experience in the mall either!
Unless of course in Yorkshire they do elevator music differently (?) :smiley:

4 Likes

Just brought tears to my eyes! Thanks

3 Likes

Brilliant discovery, Debs. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

There’s a couple of similar clips on Youtube - for example, Beethoven 9th 4th movement( -ish :slight_smile: ) - and with a choir! They are very cleverly choreographed, and of course, Bolero lends itself brilliantly.

Great stuff; I’d love to be there in the flesh when it was done

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing,
it’s the sort of extraordinary experience that would give one a happy memory for life : )

5 Likes

Simply brilliant!

2 Likes

Brilliant stuff. Thanks Debs.

1 Like

There was an earlier Opera North Nessun Dorma in the same mall… Also stunningly moving, so thought the forum members might enjoy this one too

5 Likes

Thanks for posting that, Mike. Much appreciated! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Superb!

Here’s one I enjoyed recently.

3 Likes

I got goosebumps watching that video. What a wonderful way to bring live music to the public.

Magnificent, Mike. Brought a tear to my eye, I don’t mind admitting.

Two fantastic videos – thanks for posting. I think it’s great to have classical music in public spaces. At times, it’s difficult to get big audiences into concert halls – so why not raise the profile of classical music with promotions like these. Fabulous! And certainly, Opera North does some great music-making!! When we lived in Leeds, we enjoyed them a lot – though not as much as we would have liked. The sacrifices one has to make as young parents… From the performances we attended I believe to recognise the tenor in the second video (Nessum Dorma). I think he was in the Andrea Chenier production – which was really, really good.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the video, absolutely loved it!

A lot of joy on display in the crowd catching the unexpected performace.

1 Like

Found a flashmob performance of an edited final movement of LvB’s 9th. Similarly moving.

I’m keeping it for March 29th before I post it variously.
:wink: