Sustaining Naim CDPs - An Appeal

I bought my CDX2 pre-loved, back in 2014. Its a 1st gen (built 2005), with the 1250 mech. But - I bought it knowing that support was available - with worst-case being re-fitting with the 1202 mech. Which was true until maybe last or this year…? And could still be true if some working, to-Naim-spec 1202 mechs could be found. We can hope…

As I understand it Naim did a ‘Lifetime Buy’ on the various mechs, but their stocks have run out. Efforts have been made to replenish, but with limited success.

I guess I am now no worse of than if I had taken a punt on an older CDX, say…? Maybe I should have stuck with my Arcam Alpha 5, or my Rega Apollo…?

I cannot imagine another audio manufacturer doing more than Naim, to support their older products. But, in this case, the replacement mechs simply are not out there. And re-engineering each player around a current mech is unlikely to make any sense, economically.

I guess we can be encouraged that there are not many reports of Naim CDP’s which have been declared ‘dead’ and non-repairable…? Fingers crossed, it remains that way.

Same here my CD555 laser was replaced in 012-I’d do more than cry if I was told tomorrow

Sorry it is now a boat Anchor :worried:

1 Like

Thanks Richard, I guess I was just thinking that if there was a constant part that was failing on these new mechs, then maybe just that could be sourced or manufactured by a third party to salvage the spares that are otherwise new. Just thinking of a different approach but I suppose naim have already considered that. It would be wonderful if all of the many naim cd players out there have a new lease on life and are able to be used for many more years to come. Cheaper than introducing a new machine or transport for that matter!

Don’t think @PeterR said that… :thinking:

Oh certainly not PeterR–that was my worst scenario :worried:fear

I was merely recalling a quotation I was told to the effect that the Factory had

only ONE drive spare for each 555 sold as backup –

So I may have done my chips :anguished:

Still one can but hope for the best outcome.

D41

I’m sure Naim have done what they can. However it would be interesting to know how long Naim continued to make CDP’s when they knew the supplies for mech’s were drying up and how many mech’s were kept back for repairs.
From what you wrote, at the time I purchased my CDS3 the VAM1250 was pretty much obsolete. Not sure I’d have bought one had I known that. My original mech lasted just under 5 years and my dealer told me I had one of the very last VAM1250’s when mine failed. Going on that time frame one of those final CDX2’s could easily fail while under warranty and be irreparable.

1 Like

@SteveO I think we need to be careful here. It’s common knowledge that Naim ceased production of the CDX2.2 so that they could store the mechs for future repairs so I’m certain they’ve acted in good faith, my point is now reserves are exhausted is it possible to look for other solutions?

Regards,

Lindsay

Not sure how common that knowledge is, re the CDX2.2 & its mechs…? But - I do follow the logic suggested, to a point.

Alternatively, would this discussion even exist, had Naim chosen to ‘re-re-engineer’ the CDX2 around a 3rd style of mech…? Giving a way forward, based on a current mech…?

2 Likes

Exactly……we as a forum visited the factory just as that was announced and Trevor Wilson the MD at the time was adamant that spares were more important than continuing production.

Firstly, I did write “I’m sure Naim have done what they can” with regard to sourcing new supplies. What is less clear is whether they left enough spares to service existing units, at least through the warranty period, knowing that high failure rates of stored mech’s was likely.
Secondly, as @IanRobertM points out, how common was that “common knowledge” you allude to?
All I can say is what I know to be true which is that I had no knowledge the VAM1250 mech was unavailable to source when I bought my CDS3 or indeed that there was a shortage of VAM1202’s should the player fail again and need to be modified.
I’m certainly not here to bash Naim but under the circumstances I don’t think it’s out of order to ask these questions.

2 Likes

When I bought my CDX2, I knew it had the older 1250 mech - and current production CDX2’s were using the newer 1202 mech. But - worst case - an older CDX2 (like mine)could be re-worked to use the new mech.

Common Knowledge, like Common Sense isn’t necessarily that ‘common’… :thinking:

My CDX2 is still working… fortunately… :grinning:

When Naim realised that VAM1250s were no longer available from Philips they bought as many as they could. Soon after work started on re-engineering the CDX2 for taking the VAM1202. Work was also commenced on re-engineering the CDS3 so they could take the VAM1202 when the time came to have the old mech replaced. This way those players could be supported for much longer. At the time supplies of VAM1202s were pretty good, albeit it was something of a minefield as they were available from a number of sources in the far east with plenty that did not meet Naim’s standard.

If you want more detail then perhaps ask someone from Naim who was there after my time. However, as I say, Naim have long tried their best to support their customers with mechs, but it’s not easy, especially when their production spans are so brief and models are discontinued or replaced with little or no warning or chance to put in really big lifetime buys (which are also a risk as the mechs can die while stored), and often circumstance and a certain amount of luck can go against you.

3 Likes

There is the crux of the matter. Supply of 1202’s seemed to be good - but in reality, was not. That’s how we get to today.

1 Like

Guys, I started this thread with the intent of seeing if there was in anyway a solution. It most certainly was not the intent to lay blame or accuse anyone of bad faith.

Regards,

Lindsay

6 Likes

Linn made their own mechs since the Karik. And they still couldn’t service anything beyond a couple years.

Naim have done pretty well. I know some people expect a full proof solution. But nothing’s full proof, at any price.

Personally, if I had a Naim CD player, I’d be more inclined to just use it and enjoy it rather than worry about something that might never happen. Even if it develops a fault, it isn’t certain to be the mech or a mech replacement level failure. Deep breaths guys. Deep breaths.

4 Likes

Just because “people thought” something does not mean those thoughts were or are objectively reasonable. That’s the message that is politely trying to be conveyed.

And quite obviously Naim do have substantial loyalty. Just not the amount a few people think is sufficient. The objective evidence, presented here in this thread and elsewhere, show all the steps Naim have taken. With CD players and other hardware.

I suggest you do direct comparisons with similar brands in the industry. Are Naim better, worse, or on average the same?

1 Like

Some people, not you @LindsayM, cannot help themselves.

2 Likes

That rings a Bathtub.

1 Like

:crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2::grinning:

2 Likes

As a long term very happy user of a CDS3, it has always been comforting to know it could be repaired if needed. That said, I never for a moment thought the day wouldn’t come when replacement parts could no longer be supported.

Mine won’t be a bookend when it finally gives up the ghost, it will regrettably but inevitably and unceremoniously go in the bin, along with any other consumer electronics at the end of their operable life.