Sustaining Naim CDPs - An Appeal

It cannot be stressed enough, in addition to replacing the mech, the software needs adjusting as well, if you are to continue to get the best out of the player.

And there ain’t no way of telling!

1 Like

2 Likes

But with a dead box and no alternative in sight…….i would be tempted via a good repair shop?

2 Likes

Are you sure they are compatible? Afaik the mechs for Naim are slightly different than other players using the same mech, maybe @Richard.Dane can comment on that.

I just bough a new old stock VAM1250 though another source, it was tested inside a CDX2 and apparently worked flawlessly. I decided to take the risk and keep one as a spare, even if i don’t know if would pass the Naim “quality” test.

My understanding is that Naim modified them, from ‘standard’ - perhaps just software…?

All I can say is that my CDX 2 is back, now fitted with a digital output and it sounds superb when fed into the Nova .

I am a happy camper

2 Likes

@Markn - sorry to ask, I just saw your thread on CD5 display issues, and couldn’t help noticing your CD5 was just back from having some work done, including a new laser. Please ignore if not, but if you’re happy to share details here that would be awesome. Sounded like it was a Naim service?

Gthack, I did wonder about expanding on that issue, but thought it might ‘cross threads’ and irritate Admin. You’ve solved that problem!
Indeed, it was a Naim service, via my north London dealer, required after the ‘Err message’ issue that a new puck didn’t solve. The invoice (dealer’s) states ‘Replaced the CD mech, diodes and updated S/W’, total £350 (not too bad for 20 year old machine). [what is S/W?]
The alphanumeric display is definitely not functioning, so it might well have to go back, but the important bit was that Naim still have laser mechanisms. At least for the CD5.
I confess that the various rather alarming comments concerning laser availability caused me to find a replacement on Ebay, so I do have a possible spare. Might need it in another 20 years’ time!

2 Likes

Ah. Moved up the page: Soft/Ware.

Software

Thank you. Our comments crossed!

1 Like

That’s great, thank you for the detail!

And best of luck with the display issue. It’s a shame to get the player back and have to possibly ship it back again :confused:

Apparently some Naim distributors still have replacement lasers. Naim corporate and N. America distributor cannot repair most CD players for lack of replacements.

I was under the impression that there were no more mechs available for the CD5 ?

Fear not for the CD player, buy a cheap one and add a Whest Buffer II to it. It will completely blow you away. I have one on my CD555 and has taken the sound and musicality to another level, that’s even with the CD555 being powered by two PS 555DR. Incidentally it works with streamers too!

:wink: Pete

Yes, Naim still makes 1 CD player and 2 CD rippers. The rippers, if they are like my HDX use a standard off-the-shelf DVD burner (Teac, Samsung, Hitachi, etc) that you’d find in any PC. The “quality” aspect is handled by software (“bit perfect”). This is definitely the way to go although even these ripping drive cannot be substituted by anyone except NAIM as (I’m told by a reliable source) they modify the firmware to prevent hardware error correction in the drives themselves.

I believe pictures of current Naim units show a Teac drive installed…?

Clearly, it would be possible to make a higher end CD ‘player’ using such a drive, should Naim wish to… :thinking:

1 Like

@IanRobertM yes! The argument will that there is such a limited market but others still seems to think it worth it.

Its a market that other UK audio manufactures are happy to supply… Such as Rega.