Sustaining Naim CDPs - An Appeal

hear hear

1 Like

Yes, I have a 5 with a busted cog. The mech is standing by as a spare…

Mario, there are obvious things like lubricants - either the wrong types applied in the wrong place, or not even applied at all (Philips themselves had lots of failures of the old VAM1204 IIRC due to no lubricant in a critical place), or just lubricants aging and gumming, to laser or component failure. Apart from that, I’m not sure whether anybody knows for certain.

2 Likes

Martin, IIRC, it’s a CDM4/25. Unfortunately this is a rare CDM4 variant using a brushless motor, superior to the regular and much more commonly found CDM4/19 units and not interchangeable.

I seem to recall being told by Sheila back in the day that the CDM4/11 and CDM4/27 were possible replacements, whether in part or whole, but some modification may be required. @NeilS may know more here.

1 Like

Trying to collate it all here >> Sustaining Naim CDPs - An Appeal - #81 by gthack

Updates/corrections welcome :slight_smile:

This website in The Netherlands may help:

wwwdotdutchaudioclassicsdotnlforwardslashthe_complete_d_a_dac_converter_list

which lists DACs and mechs in a multitude of CDPs.

2 Likes

How about Naim consider making an ND555 and NDX2 with CD transport like the dCS Rossini?

Could this be the way to go? CD as a format is still popular and isn’t dead. What does everyone else think?

Might be a bigger box but could be very good. Definitely a market for it.

2 Likes

I‘d buy it. I am not so sure if there is a market for it though. The „easy“ way would be to make a transport in the new solstice design and use the solstice psu as upgrade. Yeah, i could live with that also :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Another thought: would ist be possible to replace the analogue out of a new cd5si with a digital out like Naim did in the past with older cdx2 Players? That may be a great Transport for under 2k…

1 Like

Having had a CD5Si and then CDS2 and CDS3 the CD5Si just wasn’t even close. So maybe Naim make a decent CD transport for streamers and DACs?

1 Like

dCS make them so there must be a market. I would consider one if the CDS3 goes belly up and am unable to fix. Worth Naim considering.

1 Like

Likewise I would urge Naim to not forget the CDP555 owners. Some of us are on our end-game front end, and having had my drive replaced a year ago after 9 years ownership from new, I would cry myself to sleep every eve, if I cannot have another one in say 10 years time. That would take me to the age of 80+ ……. yes please! :pray: ATB Peter

5 Likes

I’ll second and third that !

2 Likes

@Naim.Marketing. Much food for thought here. As the thread OP I recognise, as I’m sure we all do, that maintaining legacy products is a real challenge but it does strike me that, just as one example, the last CDS3 was manufactured in 2012 and were the owner of that machine to suffer a terminal mech failure it’s in effect time over. I would therefore request that Naim think again about this, it might be that a solution is not possible or simply so cost prohibitive as to make it completely not viable in which case as users we have to consider other alternatives, but I trust that all possibilities have or will be considered.

Regards.

Lindsay

2 Likes

And the last CDX2.2, in 2018…

2 Likes

I don’t recall Adam. Possibly one for @Pauls to confirm either way.

Awesome, thank you! I’ll check my working, most of the reference material so far was this forum :slight_smile:

I wanted to start working on the next column, what options there were, to date, for each player, for mech replacement, might get to that later in the weekend!

5 Likes

The other thing is we keep our CD players running by fitting the Chinese mechs on eBay? Are these any good? Has anyone had to do this yet?

And I am sure I can’t be done by the Naim Community police for suggesting this as there may be no other option but this solution to fix our kit?

Is the mech so vital to the quality of the sound?

I’ve suggested that many times, many, many times

(best Round The Horne voice)

1 Like