Swapping systems between rooms

Well the Forest work in the smaller room! They need to be further forward, and the Hawks work better in this position to. For both, the coach moves about 1m forward from the back wall to get a sweet spot in an equilateral triangle. Furniture could be adjusted to suite. So, phase 1 of the trail is complete - acoustically it will work, and I’ve also found a better set up for the Nova and Hawks if I don’t move systems.

3 Likes

Good news sweetie ! So it will be your final choice or will you try SN2/Ndx2 here too?

1 Like

If the Forest stay in the smaller room, I’d probably bring all the electronics with it, SN2, HiCAP, NDX2 and XPS DR plus the larger Heed PS for the headphone amp. Move the Nova, Core and smaller Heed DAC and PS upstairs to the lounge.

To do things properly, I would then need to put a rack under the desk where the sub is, put the Rega above it on the desk and move the sub. The sub would probably need to go just left of the right speaker and would block one draw of the cabinet.

For the moment, I’ll just stick with the swap of speakers for a few days and see how I feel.

4 Likes

Try toeing the speakers in a touch as well so they’re aimed more towards the centre point of the sofa. It may help reduce reflections from the side of the desk on the left.

Try both gentle toeing in as well as toeing them in to the point you can’t see the sides of the speakers when you’re sat in the centre of the sofa!

Also, try measuring the distance between those speakers and then measure the distance from one speaker to the centre of the sofa. If the measurements aren’t equal, try moving the sofa a little forward. leaving space behind you and the wall. Doesn’t have to be much. When playing with NF, sometimes even a few inches here and there can make a big difference.

Things are looking good so far though… I sense a lot more quality use of your system going forward :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit… oh, and also try a sheet or a large bowl over the screen when listening to music. It may help with the soundstage. I found wooden blinds made a big difference for me (window behind my speakers).

1 Like

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I’m planning to take the desk on the left away and replace it with the desk extension that is currently behind and to the right of the right speaker. I’ll place it in the left corner facing into the wall, behind the left speaker. I’ll then move the turntable to the top of the record cabinets, which are just at the bottom left of the photo. That will free up the left side of the room.

Where I’ve moved the desk extension from currently has the Nova. I could put a rack here to house the SN2/HiCAP/NDX2 and XPSDR.

I can fine tune toeing in once all set up, though Totem don’t recommend it with their speakers. Moving the couch around to hit a sweet spot is easy as, fortunately.

All up, if I run with this, I’m up for a longer RCA lead for the turntable and a rack. I’d probably look at a Fraim Lite, as I already have 4 glass shelves and stainless steel balls and nuts!

I can also move the TV back another 150mm on the cabinet.

Thanks again for your help.

2 Likes

Hi @Gazza, I.m looking at getting a Custom Design Milan 6 rack for this new setup with swapping my systems around. Do you still have yours, and do you think it’s a good product? I certainly like the aesthetics and there is a seller in NZ. It would go where the Nova and sub currently is in the photo above. The big table in the left side of the room will go and be replaced with a smaller table facing into the rear wall behind the right speaker.

Hi @Mike_S… Mike it is used in our back room mainly for a TV stand and the QB2 as the sound bar. Its well made, lovely thick cherry end caps…we like the aesthetics and it fitted the gap we have.
I did not compare to other racks nor tested for sound quality…though each level is isolated via a spike and cap. For what its worth it did get 4 stars in what hifi…it lacked a little detail of 5 star racks…but they liked the design looks and its other SQ details.

2 Likes

I use a Custom Design Milan Reference 10. I had the local glass maker put together 2 toughened glass shelves that I use with it. Very well made, no complaints.

4 Likes

Thanks, do you know what the difference is between the Milan 6 and Referance 10, I can’t really tell from their website.

The reference uses 10 mn glass, vs 6mn for Milan 6.

The Milan 6 LCD 2 Audio Visual Support Furniture Range are manufactured from only TTF or FSC Solid Oak, Walnut and Ash hardwoods. All of these hardwoods are harvested from professionally managed, sustainable forests where more trees were planted than harvested in the last 30 years. Please visit our colour swatch page to view the solid hardwood finishes available. All of the real solid hardwood supports are hand selected to the best of our ability for customer satisfaction.
Custom Design sources all cardboard packaging from only PEFC or FSC certified companies. 76% of the cardboard packaging has been manufactured from recycled material which can be 100% recycled.
The 6mm Clear or Black glass shelves are manufacture to EN 12105-02 with polished edges and designed to support 25kg per shelf.
A discrete radius front edge provides the Milan 6 LCD Corner 2 Audio Visual Support Furniture Range with a distinct design feature which are supplied with standard shelf spacing of 150mm, with a 110mm option on request, or a 200mm, 250mm or 350mm shelf spacing are available on request as an optional extra

Reference 10:

All of the Milan Reference 10 Hi-Fi 4 Acoustic Support Furniture Range are manufactured from TTF or FSC solid hardwoods including Oak, Walnut and Ash. All of these hardwoods are harvested from professionally managed, sustainable forests where more trees were planted than harvested in the last 30 years. Please visit our Colour swatch page for more information on the finishes available.
Custom Design sources all cardboard packaging from only PEFC or FSC certified companies. 76% of the cardboard packaging has been manufactured from recycled material, which can be 100% recycled.
The 10mm glass shelves are manufactured to EN 12105-02, with polished edges and available in Clear or Black finish. The hardwood and glass shelves can support 50kg per shelf and a discrete radius front edge provides the Milan Reference 10 Hi-Fi 4 Acoustic Support Range with another distinctive design feature.
All of the Milan Reference 10 Hi-Fi 4 Acoustic Support Range are supplied with standard spacing of 150mm. with optional 110mm, 200mm, 250mm and 350mm shelf spacing are available on request or as an optional extra.

Hifi 4 ( reference 10)

Hifi 2 ( reference 10)

3 Likes

Thanks for that. Off course, I already have 4 10mm glass shelves, but I think only the Milan 6 is available here, and only in black. I need to make a few phone calls. The other options are the Quadraspire and Fraim, but I much prefer the design of the Milan and it’s cheaper.

1 Like

Yes, it’s very nice, I agree. I feel that the Milan 6 is more for av and reference 10 for Hifi. But better ask.

1 Like

The brochure suggests the reference can carry much heavier units than the Naims. I’ll make some calls and report back.

2 Likes

Just seen your question there. As @frenchrooster says, it’s the thickness in glass.

When I bought the 10, I still had Naim amp which was sitting on it so just opted for the thicker glass. I also liked how it looked in terms of proportion, thickness of glass to wood.

When they arrive they turn up flat pack and are easy enough to put together. The wood is really nicely finished.

Because mine is on top of a unit that is very smooth, the spikes and cups had a tendency to move if knocked or bumped into. So, I bought some AudioSerenity ISO-9H Gel Speaker pads which work really well in isolating it from the unit but stopped it from being bumped out of position.

I also used the same pads on the top to support the glass shelf. The Chord TT2 is a lot lighter than an amp and didn’t provide enough downward weight onto ball-bearing isolation to stop it from moving. Which was easy to do when dusting the glass. You can just make them out in the photo.

1 Like

Thanks. Unfortunately, I have now established that there are no Milan racks left in NZ and Concept Design are no longer exporting to NZ. There is now Concept 400 left, but I think that is a little below the quality I should go for if I want to doit once, and do it right. I discussed it with my dealer who has messaged to say that there are some Quadrapsire and Fraim Lite racks in NZ and he is just working out the options to match my boxes and TT. I think I’ll end up spending more than planned, but at this stage, with setting up the dedicated listening room, it’s worth getting it right.

1 Like

Exactly… as you mentioned, do it once and do it right. It will only play on your mind.

1 Like

Here’s the new room layout. Hard to get full perspective, but the couch is moved forward from the back of the wall when listening. Rack and TT will go where the Nova is.

3 Likes

Had a great session last night, still using the Nova but with the Totem Forest Sigs and the new room layout, watching the new Big Big Train concert Bluray. Sounded quite lovely and I’m sure bringing in the better electronics will tighten things up and give more detail, clarity and soundstage.

The rack options have come down to either the Quadraspire Q4 EVO (in stock in the bamboo option) or the SVT on order from the UK, or a Fraim Lite on order from the UK. I think I prefer the lighter aesthetics of the Quadraspire and the SVT doesn’t look like a huge step up?

Still wondering if I should try the SN2 and NDX2 in place of the Nova before committing to a rack?

I’ve now moved all the electronics to the new set up and moved the Nova to the Lounge. The main system is on temporary table whilst I order a rack, but sounds lovely: though not ideal with the SN2 behind the right speaker. I have a slight hick-up in that my Superlumina speaker cables, which I currently have in, are not long enough to get the SN2 to the side of the speaker. I will have to either revert to my longer NAC A5 once I install a rack, or get longer Superlumina cables (not keen on that $'s wise), so will probably put the S/L on the Nova and live with the A5 on the SN2.

Rack wise, I’m now tending towards the SVT.

Fun times. Need to plug in the sub at some stage too.

6 Likes

Good to see the changes. Experimentation is fun and most importantly you will figure out the optimal configuration and obtain the best sound/result after trying the various options. It would be a worthwhile exercise especially after spending considerable money on the equipment and speakers you would want the best result from the system.

1 Like