Synergistic Research blue 13A plug fuse

Don’t quote me on this but ISTR that CE can be used as an alternative statement of compliance. I know we had a conversation with the DTi about a decade ago about a mains plug and they said BS or CE but not both!

Well, to the best of my knowledge, the The Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994 is still in force as written.

I’ve seen a video of a non BS1362 compliant fuse exploding spectacularly and blowing the plug apart in a ball of flame.
So, personally I won’t risk it.

As mentioned earlier, I’ve only heard the 1 blue fuse in my tv and the results were amazing. Well the other 3 blue fuses arrived this morning to insert into the rest of my av gear, to complete the set. I tried each one individually to hear the differences.

What can I say? Unbelievable. It is unbelievable, because I don’t believe it, but I heard it.

I can’t speak. I can’t think straight. Went out to the supermarket to clear my mind, but that didn’t help. Just stared along the aisles, stared at the floor. How can it be? What’s the black dot? My whole house is being strangled by rubbish Bussmann fuses. How many more should I buy?

I was kind of surprised to find my house hadn’t burnt down, whilst I was out supposedly shopping.

Might try one in my washing machine😂

1 Like

Just think how bright your whites would come out.

2 Likes

Out of interest I have just had a look at the SR website to see these fuses.
I think they have mis-printed the cost (decimal in the wrong place). All is ok, I have emailed them and asked them to correct it. :+1::rofl:

1 Like

My thinking exactly - and perhaps less fabric conditioner?

1 Like

My error thanks for clarifying.

But the CE mark and some other BS is sufficient legally.

Steady on fella and enjoy it, fuses 1 by one, and a week to settle.

I personally found the initial change good, then down, then bloody awesome after the two week burn in.

I use one on my TV to :sunglasses:

I would still say, dont rush, after a week, remove it, back to whatever you had, listen and then back to the SR and decide to keep or return for a full refund.

Maybe you bought it from the cocky dealer I did, “I’ve sold thousands not even 1 returned”

On a slightly different fuse topic. Can anyone tell me the correct orientation for the 13 amp fuse that Naim supply in the mains plug. I seem to remember that a particuar way around gives better sound. It was talked about in the old forum I believe.

1 Like

Not sure… It depends on which hemisphere you live in.

1 Like

To anyone with these fuses, if your kit is plugged into a distribution block, does the fuse make a difference whether in the distrib block feed, or in one of the cables from distrib block to one of the black boxes?
If the latter, which component benefits most?
Either way, does a fuse in both the distrib block feed and the black box cable improve further?

To anyone with more than one of these fuses, does it sound better still if you use one in the lead, and another in the distribution block?

Does it blow your socks off if you daisy chain lots of distribution blocks together and put a posh fuse in every one? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I found this on the archived forum

“If the kite safety mark is embossed on the edge of the of the fuse’s conductive cap the fuse value should point towards the bottom of the fuse holder. Should the kite mark be embossed on the very end of the fuse’s cap then the fuse value should face the top of the fuse holder.”

The only problem for me is that the supplied NAIM fuse has no kitemark on the fuse cap at all.

If you think it may sound better one way round and there are no markings to indicate which way this may be then try it both ways and see if you have a preference.

Chris, I think you’re confusing the equipment fuse (i.e. the one that protects you from the kit having a catastrophic failure) with the mains plug fuse (i.e. the one that protects the mains lead). The fuse orientation advice is for the equipment fuse.

Ahh Richard, you are right. I have obviously misread that in the past. Thanks for the clarification.

I’m curious as to whether these blue fuses sound any different to the other ‘audiophile’ fuse offerings - Russ Andrews etc. After looking through the Synergistic website a few times i just can’t take them seriously.

Also …would one fuse in the plug of a hydra make all the components connected to the hydra sound better?

I got one of these fuses as a Christmas present and put it in my hydra. Tried it for a couple of days but didn’t like it as the bass sounded off somehow.
I couldn’t remember which type of fuse was originally fitted so stuck a Bussman one in. It changed the sound slightly again but it still seemed a bit different to before.
The only other fuse type in the house were SEM so I put one of these in and was relieved that my original sound returned.
No more messing about with fuses for me, strange stuff.