Synergistic Research blue 13A plug fuse

I suspect all our non-UK friends are jumping with joy that they don’t have all this 13A fuse f.f.f.faffing about.

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:Mike-B,…I agree on that :wink::grin::grin:.

/Peder🙂

I have a set of three AMR gold fuses that came to £40. Where 3 blue fuses would set me back £390 ! I can’t say what benefits the blues have over the golds as I haven’t tried them, and most probably never will, but the golds do definitely make a change for the better with me - similar to changing out old domestic wall plugs for silver plated unswitched audiophile ones.

This is something that we touched upon in a previous thread, we don’t need them in the UK either, but we would have to adopt a more radial based domestic distribution system using lower rated breakers. Which would probable cost more!

Indeed Roog, my post was very much tongue-in-cheek.

1 Like

Hi Mike, understood, I do find it funny that ‘the rules’ we have created due to the architecture of our electrical system have caused real problems, such as giving people the opportunity to fit the wrong rated fuse in their plug top!

Yes the UK ring main has a lot to answer for.
A friend had a hifi dedicated radial installed, separate CU, 16 amp CB, 6mm/2 cable into x2 double 13A sockets. I suggested he did not need the 13A sockets & why not change them to 15 amp round pin. I found some & installed them for him, & although he was happy the sound difference was subtle at best.
That was a while ago & he has since gone from all olive six-pac to NDS-552-300 & wanted to utilise the supplied PowerLine’s, so I fitted some new 13A doubles again.
So what does that prove, nothing really. Now do I dare tell him the SEM fuses in the PowerLines are not worthy … maybe not

The spirit of the patent medicine show lives on.

“At Synergistic Research we’ve isolated key factors that affect how electricity propagates by changing the behavior of electrons through Inductive Quantum Coupling methods”

The explanation they offer is pure slurry, better to not offer one, if they work the company doesn’t know why either.

1 Like

Good story Mike, the avoidance of a technologically weak point in the circuit, and the later reinstatement of the ubiquitous BS1361 fuses perhaps demonstrated that it wasn’t as weak as it was originally perceived.

Or perhaps it was the power of good marketing?

I should be thankful that such things don’t affect me yet, I have bigger issues to worry about, like trying to find a decent pre amp for my power amp.

I was waiting for a response before asking that!

And what if you daisy-chain multiple extension leads, each fitted with one?

No, I didn’t like a fair number of reviews of his attitude. I bought them from Analogue Seduction. They’re pleasant, honest and polite. I needed guaranteeing that the fuses I received weren’t a previous customer return and I could see they weren’t.

I would hate to name another shop, as they are polite, but from previous experience I don’t trust their items are all brand new and not returned items. Their policy just doesn’t work for me and I can tell, no matter what they assured me.

As a company offering novel solutions for a hifi systems particulars, I will have to state the obvious that they are doing a great job.

ED9C73E4-7B56-46BE-A440-76E138B43F87-3938-000002F83512FE64

They offer many tempting peculiarities that once “in” will most definitely make your wallet lighter.
I would personally take them more seriously if they dropped their prices for those that like to tinker on the little things without spending a fortune - that would obviously be better spent on you know what.

The device second from left looks like something that would have been found in Los Alamos in the mid 40’s…Hopefully it will stay sub critical whilst listening…

James, yes their website is a bit crackers, but that is the Americans for you. I have a number of USA products (e.g. plant fertilisers, leather care, etc) and their marketing is similar, but they are the best in their field. I tend to ignore claims and try things for myself. I have read many things about fuses in the past, but nothing conclusive enough for me to spend £20-£30 on one. I’ve not read a single bad thing about this blue fuse (except for the first time above in this thread, but there you have it, the usual garbage hydra. What a surprise). This is what the Naim forum is all about and hopefully you have people here who you listen to and those that you ignore. There’s a variety of advice on this forum from extremely poor, misguided advice from people with Statements to gems from people with the most basic system. Take your pic.

Getting down to basics, my av system is a daisy-chain of units connected via hdmi and rca cables. The tv was the centre of them all and the 1 fuse made a huge difference. Adding a another blue fuse to each box then subsequently made the same difference again. At the end of 3 fuse additions in one chain, you’re left with something very far away from the silver plated Bussmann’s.

We are dealing with; a fixed voltage, a fixed length of wire, a fixed current for failure, and therefore a fixed resistance. What other variables are there to give the perceived improvement?
I assume we are agreed that something in the wonder fuse could only lessen losses found with other fuses, not actually add anything.
Incredible indeed.

I’m not sure I agree with your point about everything being fixed…
The wire length can be varied by coiling for instance
The resistance will vary wildly with wire type and material composition
For instance…you could have vastly thicker wire with a lower melting point…or maybe some sort of ceramic coating…
Just a thought…
In fact … thinking more…maybe this is a plated wire of some kind…

1 Like

I’m so sorry that I hear things differently to yourself, there must be something wrong with me. Only your experiece counts on here so I apologise again for my own deficencies.

I’ve attached a photo of my wonderous fuse below bacause no doubt you think that my views are so crazy that I must be making things up.

SR%20Fuse

How can the resistance vary if it is going to fail at a fixed amperage with a fixed voltage?
V=IR

1 Like

I could be wrong but…

A piece of say steel wire will melt at a temperature and that temperature may be reached by putting a current through it that causes it to melt.
That current is adjusted by varying the thickness of the wire …this is all achieved due to the resistance of the wire used
Now if a totally different metal is used with a different melting point and (say) lower resistance…then that wire might be considerably thicker and perform better for sound purposes?
I think you maybe being too blinkered as to different materials or coatings possibly being used
Sorry…but that’s about as far as my HNC physics takes me…

1 Like