Synergistic Research Ethernet Switch

Most comparisons are more likely to be the other way round. Lots of Qobuz material is 24 bit, either 44, 96 or 192, whereas local for many means CD rips at 16/44.1.

Correct, in this case he’s comparing the opposite, 16 bit Qobuz vs 24 bit local, prefers Qobuz in his comparison of one album, post #66.

Ok also tested 24/192 versions of local and Qobuz albums, same result Qobuz comes out on top quite easily.

Either the switch has an ability to detect local files or your local source is poor.

Local source is the Innuos I believe.

Yes Innuos Zenith

Why would a switch detect ripped or streamed ?
It all.comes from the Innuos Zenith, streamed via the switch and local direct to the Nova (nothing to do with the switch).

It was some humour on my part. The switch won’t be able to tell. :slightly_smiling_face:

From this I can see that you are not using the the streaming section of the Nova just the DAC and the amp. Have you tried it using UPnP?

1 Like

Yeah, this makes no sense to me. But I don’t understand why he’d use BNC/SPDIF and not a ethernet/upnp. Perhaps this is the source of the difference in SQ. It seems local should sound better holding all else equal.

No i settled on the Zenith USB route, as alongwhile ago i tried various combinations including upnp and preffered my current setup due to Innuos RAM cache playback.

I’ve looked at the Zenith MK3 manual and I’m not sure how you get from USB out to SPDIF in :thinking::woozy_face:

Audiophilleo USB>S/PDIF converter

2 Likes

My current setup is:
Sky Router - SR Switch (Ethernet) - Innuos Zenith (direct BNC) - Audiophilleo SPDIF - Naim Nova.

Streaming Qobuz, Local either ripped with the Zenith or purchased from Qobuz)

This all seems very complex lol

Very expensive for a switch…must be good

Yes, I remember well. But now as you have the SR switch, maybe you could try the UPNP mode? It will take you 5 minutes. Just connect Innuos and Nova to SR and play with Naim app.

1 Like

The Audiophilleo clocks, removes noise and requires no seperate cable, not sure if the creator was serious or mocking when he created a version with a virtual cable, essentially a way to induce noise into the chain.

So for me it actually simplifies the chain, but agree if my Nova had USB i would have never looked at SPDIf conversion.

I will.try at the weekend.

2 Likes

Sorry, I just assumed this was an SPDIF cable and not a converter.

The Nova has only Spdif, the Innuos only usb. So the cable has to convert from usb to Spdif.

1 Like