System 552/500/sl2

Not sure I agree with the idea that SL2s are the limiting factor. It depends so much on the room interaction as ever, the floor and walls, and what you are looking for in a speaker. People love the tiny Tablette, I love my SBLs etc. I am yet to hear a modern design that fits with my requirements. I think bigger and better speakers may exacerbate your problem.

3 Likes

Yes, SL2s and SBLs have a magic that no contemporary speakers have.

So they limit some aspects of sound reproduction, like depth and breadth and width of soundstage, but they excel at other things, like the real hair raising presence of instruments in the room.

4 Likes

I thought someone might say this :wink:

2 Likes

If you had the 552/500/Nd555/2x555dr ps/ Melco N10, would you keep the SL2?

Nope, I’d probably get a new listening room, demo Kudos, Dynaudio, ATC actives, big JBLs, even a Klipsch Cornwall 4…

1 Like

On the contrary, there are too many…

1 Like

french…i agree with JimDog that Naim speakers have magic that no others have and i don`t want to loose it by a different speaker…but on the other hand i get to much mid with less deep bass less breadth and soundstage and need it also

Micky (one of Ilan’s customer)use kudos 707 in his 500s system . talk with him.

I find some speakers that are magical too and more refined than Naim speakers, without loosing Prat and speed. Like Wilson Benesh, Apertura, some Sonus Faber ( new range).
But of course it’s me.
Try to borrow some at home, maybe Proac too, or Kudos, but not sure Kudos are sold in Israel…

While SL2s may not have as much low end power or punch compared to other top end speakers, they can go very, very deep, and do it where the bass has tune and can be followed easily, which is a rare thing in my experience. However, this will depend so much on room and set-up. The former of course, is all well and good, but if your room won’t give you what SL2s are capable of, then I could see how they could considered as “lacking” in bass, and then alternatives must be considered.

Hi Richard, are you running 552/ 250 DR into them, can’t remember? ATB Peter

Peter, yes I am. Originally it used to be a NAP500 and that was really something.

1 Like

Can I ask why you moved from NAP500 to NAP250DR? I am happy with 250 as a power amp and would like to explore a NAP300 for a larger room. But I find it hard to imagine why you might abandon the 500 level.

It was mainly for financial reasons after I left Naim. I’ve always felt that differences between the power amps are far more minor than between sources and pre-amps (I would far rather have a NAC552 + 250, than a NAC252 + 300 or 500), so I reverted to using my NAP250.2. Then a few years ago I upgraded to the latest NAP250DR.

5 Likes

I think if I remember right they just about go to 30 hz in the bass, when pushed right?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.