System contentment

Yes. System contentment completed.
Although, occasional surprises by not entirely anticipating the limits expected that are exceeded.
Or, getting a good measure of the capabilities…
That’s where new music matters.

There should be a qualifier: if you’ve swapped a box inside of 24 months, you can’t claim to suspect you are at contentment journey’s end. :joy:

Many is the “I’m content at last,” comment followed up 3 months later with, “Look at my new X. I’m definitely content now.

4 Likes

I get what you mean, I could claim I haven’t “swapped” a box for 24 months, with the mainstay in my Naim system being SN3, CDX2.2, Rega RP6 and Kef LS50 Metas. However I did “add” a KC62 a year ago, it was joined by a second one a week ago and the worn out (ok, I know that isn’t true but its now a spare for my second system) Exact cartridge was replaced by a Rega Ania (that’s wear and tear right?).

I do get the sentiment of the OP, I’m not feeling any sense chasing the next model up.

Always nice to see someone in happy contentment zone.

1 Like

He’s left the forum, no point in having a pop at him now.

2 Likes

I read it as a general comment rather than one specific person as it does happen a lot, I’ve done it myself.

Me too. My comnent was generic and no one came specifically to mind as I wrote it. But I know exactly who @Yeti was referring to.

1 Like

So did we all :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

2 Likes

I think there are two aspects at play with contentment: the person and the system I feel that some people will ever be truly content, and when it comes to their system, although at any given moment they may feel content with it (usually just after a change), it doesn’t last and changes will keep happening. (N.B. to me changes mean not just boxes, but also all manner of tweaks).

From a different angle, some people never seem to be so content with the sound of music emanating from their systems that they can just sit and play music for hours, finding it tiring to do that, and changes they make don’t seem to resolve that. It is unclear whether that is the person, or whether perhaps they have a fundamental problem in the system that they aren’t recognising (or whether perhaps they are listening to the wrong music!)

2 Likes

Stop looking at the boxes and just listen to the music.

1 Like

Unless looking at the boxes gives someo e pleasure! (Ditto changing things.)

2 Likes

Two day’s later I am reading about Gaia speaker isolation. Doh…

1 Like

Ahhh we’ll give people some leeway for tweaking. It’s the constant box/speaker/cable loom swapping that distracts from the music.

3 Likes

I haven’t felt the need to change anything in my main system since I bought my 272/XPSDR/250DR/ATC SCM40 7 years ago - the longest I think I have ever gone.

If I had your system the only thing I’d think about is the ferrofluid in the Dynaudio tweeters, unless of course this has been addressed. After 20 years, it’s quite likely (but not always) to have begun to dry out and harden and you may be losing a few dB of output. Consult the manufacturer etc etc.

1 Like

I have gradually “downgraded” over the last 2 years and am now effectively back to my first Naim system. I moved from Uber LP12 with Aro and 552 DR/500 to a much simpler Raven/Javelin with a detached motor and serviced CB 32.5 and HiCap (DR-ished) and a 250DR (a trade in from my 500). It all sounds truly excellent at my normal sound levels using NBLs.

Now comes the Elephant in the room - the room itself. I bought some equipment from Cymbiosis some years ago and he was able to come to Spain to install it. We spent time doing clap echo around the room and determined many possible areas to change including whether the door was open or closed!! This really determines much of the overall sound by killing echoes and reflections and I have continued to do a lot more of this at zero cost.

I put a tapestry (well a small attractive carpet) on the wall, relocated several thousand LPs to kill reflections, moved the CDs and paid attention to the slight toe in of the speakers and their distance from the rear wall and distance apart. The result of tweaking the room with both the Uber system and the current “downgrade” has been really worthwhile. At my habitual listening level I don’t miss the 552/500, LP12 as I would not AB them with my current system and importantly I still have a high level of satisfaction, the change has paid for several super holidays.

I don’t have any expensive itches to scratch but might try Kudos speaker cable???

5 Likes

When I buy something new I always say, gonna keep this one, and the family say alright we believe you.

2 Likes

Definitely there (system contentment) having progressed through the NAIM hierarchy over the last 15 years. Could add an SCDR to current setup but would not be easy on the eye, would involve adding another level to the stack or placing lower down at right angles to everything else and then the cost effectiveness question. Have future proofed with SL IC’s and speaker cable just in case …

This is going to sound crazy, but I am 64 and, importantly, my hearing is gently declining. I have sold my Linn Klimax streamer, 552/500 and B & W 804, because of problems with the room and so many boxes and frames, and never being quite happy. Bought a pair of B&O Beolab 28 speakers, and have been happy since day one with no need to upgrade. Helped by the fact I sold the system separately for £35k and the speakers cost about £10k

6 Likes

I would say I am content with my system as it is and if it didn’t change, I would be perfectly happy. However, I also realise things can be improved and am curious to explore some quite specific possibilities.

I have a small list of things I know I want to try and given where that will take my system and the way I rationalise purchases, I am about 95% certain I will call it a day at that point…

1 Like

Definitely content here too. Servicing and the occasional cartridge replacement will see me out! My only big spend might be if my SBLs blew…

1 Like

Definitely very happy with what I have now - but I do keep wondering how much better it would sound with a 552 in-situ. I wonder if the SORG have a line on a used one being up for grabs… :thinking: :thinking:

1 Like