System contentment

I have obtained contentment with each one of my system configurations…

3 Likes

yes - I have a nd5xs too + sn3 + neat ultimatums XLS.

I would obsessively read review and think about upgrades for years

I kept wondering if I should get a pre/amp/phono stage to better power the XLS’s (which I love), so I emailed Neat on what is the best amplification - they replied: we use a SN2 - your SN3 would sound better.

that email probably saved me 25-30K - and although I’m, sure my system would sound better with that and or other upgrades - I thought I should spend time listening rather than reading reviews and focusing on lack - rather than enjoying the best system I’ve ever owned by a wide margin.

I’ll prolly upgrade the streamer when the next versions come out, but until them…

4 Likes

Quite happy with what I have - SN2/CDX2/power supplies/Powerlines/Hiline.
The CDX2’s just had a new mechanism.
Years ago I was tempted to go the separates way, but the room is a limiting factor.
The only thing: I need longer HP cables, and I’m tempted to get some WH Phantom. Also perhaps a better rack (I have an Atacama Equinox) - but I’m not entirely convinced it will make a huge difference.

1 Like

Although a little leftfied by the standards of most on here (and indeed compared with my own previous system) I am more than happy with what I have. As there are no external power supplies or other associated paraphernalia I can add I find I listen to music without wondering “what if…” I feel smug that it costs so little, relative to what it replaced, and is super discreet too. So smug and content!

2 Likes

We’ve similar systems

Raspberry Pi 4
Chord 2 Qute/Linear psu
SN2
Witch Hat Phantom
Dynaudio Contour s 3.4

I also use a Planar 8 turntable but am pretty much content after years of messing around I’ve descended the upgrade ladder quite a few runs and apart from one day trying a Hicap DR and a Morgana cable I’m content.

1 Like

For me, I don’t see any incongruity between being content, but always looking for better. Since I owned my first real system (LP12/Nait/Kans) I’ve savoured pretty much every moment I could spare to listen, but I’ve simultaneously always wondered what else I could do make it even better. I love my current system as I have every one I’ve owned, but I’d love an S1 pre. And S1 power too maybe. A pair of Diapasons in place of the Obelisks. A better Cartridge. A better Server for the ND. It would all be nice, but none of it essential. Naim is good music at every level I’ve found. :blush:

3 Likes

I have a Naim 200/250, power by a Gyrator based power supply. I have a Pink Triangle Turntable/RB300 arm/Elys2, and a March DAC as a Roon endpoint. Yes I am happy. If I try something better I will buy it, so I learn’t not to do that. I started my Naim journey with a Nait 5i, then a 112x/150x that has being carefully upgraded over the past 20 years of so. The PT has remained constant, the RB300 upgraded by J7, all put together by #cymbiosis

The PRaT just gets better with each upgrade!

1 Like

I found it was a lot easier to feel content after all the recent massive price increases pushed everything beyond what I have out of my grasp forever.

Like many I suspect, the price of luxury goods shot up 25% or more; living costs also went way up; yet my salary remained flat. Hey presto! I’m content!

10 Likes

Ditto.

When the 552 disappeared over the hill of that last price increase I got a 52 and now spend very little time thinking about upgrades because there are very few that I can afford.

The system sounds balanced and brings joy into my snug (not smug) dark green sitting room in the new (8 year old) house we’ve moved into.

Contentment with a state of affairs is a plateau on the road of endless change.

I bet Jarrett, Peacock & DeJohnette went to bed content the night they recorded Whisper Not in Paris in 1999.

2 Likes

And you have the NHS trolley

I know this thread is about contentment, but I would seriusly recommend trying the Morgana. Bang for buck the difference is huge.
What linear PSU are your running?

Of course. No dismantling my system to clean behind it or to change a cable I just wheel her out do the business and wheel her back in.

I’m not sure about sound quality because memories can fade but I do know I get as much pleasure from this system as any other I’ve owned.

Of course like any record player I get the odd rouge record that sounds better through my streamer but 95% of the time I’m content and my £15 Habitat NHS trolley apart from my speakers is the longest standing part.

1 Like

Yes I will eventually get a Morgana for my phono stage and possibly a Hicap DR and a Powerline.

This is my second 2 Qute which I bought used and it came with the PSU it’s a MCRU/Long Dog Audio. I paid £450 for the pair so it was literally a freebie I’ve not tried it without the PSU so can’t comment on any difference it makes I know Chord’s designer doesn’t advocate use of upgraded PSU’s so if it hadn’t come free I probably wouldn’t have bothered.

Yes.

No alcohol required here. Building the best system we can justify for the money, carefully matched to the room, for the kind of sound balance we both like has resulted in deep musical contentment. No more tweaking, comparing or reaching for the next upgrade. We don’t need it, although we say current on developments. Happiness doesn’t equal a closed mind.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.