System Pics 2019

This is exactly how the Nova looks nice. Just on top of a cupboard. Still Allaes, Dalmatian?

3 Likes

Looks nice and discrete Dalmation. No need IMO for a single box to be sitting on a rack taking up more room than necessary. The only thing I would have tried would be to get a piece of smoked glass from the supplier instead of clear. Either way, it still looks good though.

1 Like

As far as I know, glass is not usually recommended for its negative sound dampening characteristics. So its confusing to me seeing common use of glass basements on Naims. Is it suggested by Naim ?

1 Like

It is, have a look at this link, this is Naim’s Fraim support, and you’ll see each shelf comes with a decoupled glass shelf.

1 Like

:thinking:

There was a thread a while ago, Richard gave great input from the development days.

I wonder what grade aluminium plate naim used?

Rolled plate or machined billet :thinking:

And also what type of glass is used, if matters… Glass, Aluminum are completely contrary to what Lavardin advises ;

For these reasons, avoild any stand made completely or partially with :

• Minerals, glass, marble, granitron, ceramic : dry sound, much trebles, loss of nuances
  • Carbon fiber, compounts, polyester, etc : like above
  • Metal, steel, aluminium, … : loss of nuances, agressive sound
  • Pressed wood and medite : loss of detail and nuances
  • Solid wood : expensive and not worth small plywood tears from far: simplified music, loss of nuances
  • Springs, rubbers, magnets, air chamber : loss of trebles, detail and nuances
1 Like

Hi @IdvZ

I was concerned about the height when they were under the equipment feet. Now they are under the case I don’t really notice them and the silver adds a little bling. I use 4 bronze under NDX2, 252 and SCDR. I use 4 Indigo under 250DR. Guess they raise things about 1.5cm but the sound quality improvement soon made me forget that. Fraim is not really an option for me at this time so Orea the best option I have auditioned.

3 Likes

If you avoided all those things what would a stand be made from - air?

When Naim developed the Fraim they tried all sorts of things and ended up with the steel, aluminium, wood and glass combination that they use.

The proof of what works comes from listening for oneself, not from reading what some self appointed expert might have to say on the subject.

This post is system pics and if you think an in depth technical discussion is in order it’s probably best to start a specific thread.

7 Likes

That reference comes from highly regarded brand and the best material according to their research, contrary to Naim… is indeed Plywood. You are correct and i had no intentions to hijack the thread. Just that I never read or heard anywhere glass being suggested as an effective material for vibration dampening and seeing pictures with the trend raised my curiosity.

Although i still find it surprising, i am sure Naim knew what they were doing when designing the racks and that there is much more complicity on the overall concept of the design.

I think it’s more about channelling vibration so so that its impact on sensitive audio electronics is minimised, rather than dampening it.

A lot of people add glass and balls to other stands, sideboards and whatnot. As it’s not part of an integrated design it may or may not be effective and could of course make things worse.

It might be interesting to know which company the information you quoted comes from.

It may well make things worse. I tried adding it to my hifi racks type support and I’m not convinced it improved anything.

The thing about Fraim is it’s a complete engineering solution. It all works together to minimise vibration. Just picking elements of it (e.g. having the same size glass panels made up and putting cups and balls under them) will not replicate what the Fraim does in any way. I also suspect the particular brand of glass Naim uses (Pilkington I believe) will be different in its performance to any old sheet made up by a glazier.

3 Likes

Yes still have the Allaes and still loving the combination.

Nick

1 Like

Lavardin, you may find further details on their web page under FAQ link.

1 Like

Considering that with all Gaia and Oreas the key is to adjust the loads to the maximum without falling short or passing, and that the Orea Indigo are designed for 7’2 Kgs each, 4 Indigo under the NAP 250 DR and its 15’8 Kgs. seem quite excessive and would probably be best only with 3 (3x7’2-21’6). I would try it…

1 Like

Thanks. The weight is at the lower end of the graph, but it looks very flat in terms of performance from 8lb to 14lb. Will give it a go anyway. Never know…

2 Likes

I am not sure that the weight factor is enough to choose the right isolation components.
Finite elemente have ceraballs, cerapucks and cerabases. I tried the 3 .However, on the weight side consideration, I should have used the cerapucks under my speakers. But the cerabases work the best of the 3.

1 Like

I don’t know in the case of Finite Elements, but in the case of the Isoacoustics’ Gaia and Orea it seems to be the key in the specifications of the manufacturer, something that they point out in almost all the reviews and, personally, I have checked it playing with 3 and/or 4 of the Bronze and Indigo series.

Under components, it’s often said that it’s better to use 3, any type or brand of isolation devices.
I can’t say if Gaia, Orea, Orfeo, bronze or not, will sound best under electronics. But probably would follow the site advices.

1 Like