System Pics 2019

@Peder… I haven’t tried the Allae’s on the existing kit 272/555DR/250DR in the old listening (current) room but before I purchased the SL2s the above kit with Allae’s were setup in the newer room that’s now home to the UQ2/Allae’s.

When the SL2s arrived I did run them with the 272 in the newer room for a few months before i switched rooms.

OK … After all these years of being in denial I must now admit the matching stands transform the look of the Gales :sunglasses:

Mr Tibbs

28 Likes

Well done Mr Tibbs, they are perfect.

I’d LOVE to do a new kitchen from the studs out! Makes zero sense in our current home, but we might move house in the next 18 months.

They look beautiful Mr. Tibbs, one of my all time favourite looking speakers that still look contemporary or is that just my bias? Have the sounds altered or improved the sound in any way?

2 Likes

Thanks, yes I am enjoying the music, not that I had stopped the enjoyment before. However it is good that the NAP140 is not heating up as it was, and is (so far) quite cool to the touch.

I had the NAT02 back form Naim, and that is working as it should again, and I am enjoying R4 and occasional R3 on FM. The commercial FM sounds too bad for me to bother.

It has been a bit of an investment back into the Naim for servicing, but if I factor over the 30 year life, it does not sound as bad.

1 Like

Thanks HH and Steve.

Since these reproduction stands - and apparently they are almost identical to the originals apart from not having a join in the tubing at the bottom - first became available, I’ve wanted a pair. The only problem was I had no idea what would happen to the sound! I took the plunge after a trusted source heard 401s on the repro stands and gave the thumbs up. It’s early days but already I’m very impressed with them - both with the look and the sound. Everything seems to have been pulled slightly more into focus, making it easier to hear deeper into the recording, but without it becoming a distraction.

Mr Tibbs

17 Likes

Mr. Tibbs, they look stunning with the period stands - fabulous.

4 Likes

Are the retro stands a structural improvement on the originals? IIRC the originals, while looking great, were considered potentially a weakness, sonically.

FWIW, I really like the wooden stands you had previously…

Richard, apparently they are a close replica of the original stands, but without a joint in the tube in the middle of the floor section. They certainly are beautifully made and very sturdy.
However, with the 401s weighing about 24Kg apiece, they are ‘floating’ on the tubular stands rather than being fixed rigidly in place. The wooden stands also allow some ‘float’, but not as much as the tubular stands. Prior to the wooden stands I used ES14 stands - which held the speakers very rigidly. Here’s the thing though - in order of preference musically, the ES stands are the least satisfactory and the new stands are proving to be the best sounding by a fair margin. It goes against convention, but the 401 is a pretty unique loudspeaker!

I enjoyed making the tripods and will have to find another purpose for them … kitchen stools perhaps ?

Thanks to all for the likes by the way :blush:
Mr Tibbs

10 Likes

I really like the stands, very retro and remind me of Eileen Gray pieces somehow

2 Likes

Bedroom system (Atom + Neat Iotas, on tiled shelf behind bed).

It shouldn’t work half as well as it does, but the Iotas give terrific bass with great imaging.

9 Likes

New apartment after short stay in Saudi, new streamer as a welcome gift!

39 Likes

Quite a set-up.Must sound wonderful. I suspect you may be adding some carpeting. Sopra-2 or 3?

2 Likes

Slumming it.

My wife is watching Sanditon downstairs so I’ve escaped to the spare room and some Philip Glass.
You you can just see the Core edge on peeping from behind the telly.
The colours a bit off due to the lighting and my adjustment of the brightness.

9 Likes

the room, on the photo, seems a bit small for the speakers. Just an impression. Not a critic.

Carpet is just a little behind:) the speakers are sopra 2s

The room is large but the shape is a nightmare:(

İt is still a mess from moving, maybe i will change the setup etc, this is just to start!

12 Likes

why not put the system where the tv is and the tv at the place of fraims.
You would have a better space for the hifi, not?

3 Likes

That was the initial plan, than a couple of friend adviced Me to this set up for better room aqustics, God knows, although nd555 sounds very good specially with classical, live orchestra with placement, stage and depth!!

2 Likes