System Pics 2019

Hmmm, Southern train from Swanwick to Emsworth…about 25 minutes - probably faster than the M27 with all the bl00dy roadworks!

Beer festival looks great HH. May well see you there, if I can drag myself away from The Hornet in Chichester, CAMRA Sussex pub of the year!!

I think it looks brilliant. Very clever use of space.

3 Likes

I’m off tomorrow to Surrey Hills brewery to collect 9 gallons of Shere Drop, supreme winner in the GBBF. You won’t get that in The Hornet!!

2 Likes

That’s a really nice installation/setup. Well done!

1 Like

Love that varyat!

Thanks for all of the positive vibes guys!

3 Likes

@JosquinDesPrez that is a beautiful guitar I can’t see the headstock. What make is it.

Not played since 1989 sits in the dining room, forgotten and unloved but I find it difficult to part with hi-if. Just can’t go back to vinyl having lived through the heartache and horrors of poor quality control in the late 70’s and 80’s. I do have a tinge of conscience thinking about the 300 vinyl albums in the loft.
Sysyem Rega Planar 3, Audiolab 8000A, Monitor Audio R852.

15 Likes

I stored my albums in the loft and eventually sold them last year, in surprisingly good condition. Moved on to streaming, there was no going back for me. Nice system though, can see the temptation for you😉

4 Likes

@Gazza yes I must check them out at some stage as a loft is far from ideal plus the 10,000 CDs that reside up there as well.

Your post is a comfort as I thought I was the only forum member that hadn’t been enticed to or back to vinyl.

2 Likes

Another one here - that’s three at least!

4 Likes

Me too! :+1:

4 Likes

LP12 sold about 10 years ago stuck with CDs than entered the world of Naim streaming mainly via ripped CDs several years ago no regrets whatsoever.

Sold all my albums about three years ago just ripping another five secondhand CDs that arrived in the post this morning then they will be stored.

2 Likes

Well, it is vinyl for me…

I can appreciate the attraction of streaming, if your music taste is in the mainstream.
However for the more eclectic taste maybe not so useful. And I do not think the costing (or payment) model is the best option.

On a personal level, I am not keen on a subscription model for a payment, for music, for computer software, or for any media service as the only benefit seems to be the profit to providers.

(By the way, our TV is freeview, only broadband is subscription)

Anyway there is the pleasure of the whole operation of putting a record on the turntable which gives a sense of anticipation of the twenty or so minutes of music that one has chosen form a collection, the memories of where and when the record was purchased, all the associated memories, and these are thought about as the record is placed on the turntable, and for me at least, gives a context to the music which adds to the pleasure of the whole experience, particularly as the Naim sound is satisfying.

Since my humble system has returned from service, it is as satisfying as ever, and gives great pleasure. FM broadcasts are excellent, (for the most part), and even the freeview TV feeds into the Naim, which of course is so much better than the tiny, hopeless speakers in the TV set. However it highlights the awful sound editing of most programme material, and reveals the lack of integrity of many sound engineers in the TV sound chain.

28 Likes

what is the use of the 3 towers? suspension? ( alphason)

Hi

The three towers are indeed the housing for the suspension springs, and the top part of the tower (where there is a join) is the means of adjustment with a long screw attached to perform the leveling. Makes the set-up very easy, and avoids the use of jigs, and having to have access to the bottom of the unit.

Thanks for the interest, anything else, please ask…

The Alphason is not very well known, and I am pleased to help.

2 Likes

Sorry, I couldn’t say. I was just posting a stock photo from Prathermade website to illustrate the record shelf I might have built.

I listened to the Alphason back in the day and thought it a top deck. This was in comparison with the Linn and Pink Triangle. I went for a Xerxes in the end though.

Nice deck.

Thank you Stuart

And thank you for all the likes I have received, I not sure how I do this other than a general “Thank You”.

I do not want to clog the comments just with endless “Thank You’s” to individuals, but suffice to say I am grateful for the “likes”.

2 Likes