System Pics 2019

Be upgrading those two chairs to “Lazee-boys” anytime soon?

Nope for 2 reasons:

1. No desire to spend more money on furnishings
  2. These chairs fit the style of the room. They’re actually fairly comfortable.
1 Like

Nevermind the chairs, the skirting heating is a thing of beauty.

1 Like

Very nice. So where do you sit when you are listening to music, on the sofa or a chair?

Davidf

The 500DR is another league to the 135’s, that said they are very capable amps, I had half a dozen of them until couple of years ago
Before you think about a 500 I would suggest getting the 552DR first and before you get this, the source needs to be top notch
Also bear in mind your cables need upgrading while your doing this, at the 500 series level suitable cables can easily drain bank accounts

The next option is Snaxo Supercap DR 3x 500 DR

lyndon

1 Like

I sit on the sofa when I am reading a book or just relaxing. It is closer to right speaker but still sounds good.
I sit on the chair (which I pull back and center it) when I want more of an intense listening session. When I pull the chair back to the coffee table I am about 9 ft from the speakers. The speakers are approx. 8 ft apart from center to center.
Sounds really good and shows how the Olive boxes can hold their own.
I haven’t gotten into streaming yet - actually the 01 gets the bulk of the work.
Now I really enjoy my CDS 2 since switching from Hiline to lavender :wink:

3 Likes

Davidf

The other option, considering the 52 & 135’s offer the best bang for buck
Go for a Snaxo 362, supercap DR & 4 more 135’s
And look at the cables

The 500 series offers more refinement and insight but requires a much much deeper commitment

Lyndon

Lyndon, first, I don’t believe the Titan t88s can be driven actively. The new Titans can (808, 707, etc)
Next the amount of Fraim levels, more cables, more boxes, more expense- not happening.
That said, I have a real curiosity about how a 500 would drive my Titans in this large room… I would be lying if I didn’t dream about getting a 500 (or a 552 for that matter).
Meanwhile, my system really sounds wonderful- best I have ever heard it. I am serious re the lavender vs the hiline (as described on recent thread about the lavender). Any opinion on upgrading the lavender (which really makes music as opposed to “hifi”) with something that is not Superlumina money?
david

what source over the CDS2?
?NDX2 with option the add xps2 - is this better source than cds2?
?core with NDX 2
I`m quite ignorant wrt streaming.

Davidf

Sorry, not that clued up with Kudos, I assumed the 808’s
As I said the olive offers the best vfm
The 500 series really needs a top notch source to do it justice, I don’t do digital but I believe it’s a Cd555 and a 555 ps
Cables, yes superlumina or chord Super Sarum T is a minimum, chord music is much better but this stuff makes superlumina look like bargain basement

Lyndon

That system of @davidf is top notch as far as the Olive series goes. (Something I’m aiming for). Going for a 500 series would cost tens of thousands of pounds!!!

1 Like

That’s brilliant.

WITH PHOTO BOOTH APP

4 Likes

I read that setting up an active Naim system with Snaxo will work only with Naim speakers that support an active setup, is there any issue in using Snaxo with non-Naim speakers?

From the manual: “The SNAXO active crossovers are designed to provide optimised active filter characteristics for all active-capable Naim loudspeakers.

Snaxo for Linn (old range), Kudos, and Audiovector. Out of those non Naim options, Linn speakers were by far the most common.

Worth noting you can still easily go active without SNAXO. There are a variety of active crossovers that can be used between a NAC power supply and a Naim power amp.

It doesn’t need to be treated as sacrilege. The NAC still does the signal normalisation the NAPs depend on and the 3rd party crossover just acts on that. To anyone who wonders if this changes the Naim sound, well… no more than the thousands of non Naim passive crossovers people happily use.

Definitely better WITHOUT PHOTO BOOTH APP. :grinning:

5 Likes

Yes, I was just starting to think my morning coffee is kicking in hard.

2 Likes

Got to say that the look of the system is unbalanced by that rather strange pre amp, I’ll take it off your hands and you only need to pay me a very modest fee; I’ll even drive over to France to make it all as painless for you as possible!

2 Likes

Nothing in comparison with Davidf’s recent post, but still a system giving me plenty of joy. The first time I post a pic in this thread, I have used my 50mm lens, so quite long for a 14 sq m room, the farthest I could go into the opposite corner and still the right speaker was left out of the picture, but still, I hope you like it.

Macbook pro -> QED Reference USB -> Naim DAC V1 -> Lavender -> SN2 -> DALI Rubicon 2 on dedicated stands. Acoustic Panels behind speakers and on mirror wall.

12 Likes

This kind of selfless sacrifice is what makes the forum so wonderful!

4 Likes