System Pics 2019

Hi there HiFiman :+1:

I have a Node 2, with a 282, 300DR and HiCap DR. I’m look to upgrade my Node 2. Initially was going for a NDX2 but advised that there is better for less money. Any thoughts?

Thanks

I guess as to whether “better for less money” is true for you depends on what kind of presentation and possibly box count you are looking for. Personally. I went down the Chord route when I wanted to move up from my ND5XS, and I think Chord sounds great and presents good value for money compared to Naim sources. But I can see why many people stick with Naim streamers – great products too, just not for me.

2 Likes

Hi DJM your profile states that you already own an NDX2?

Regarding the Node 2i that’s a tough one as a transport the Node 2i is very good but the DAC in my 272 is superior and currently my 2i is connected via Toslink into the 272 as I prefer the voicing of Naim DACs.

On Tuesday I’m picking up an RCA to BNC coax lead and fig 8 mains lead from Mark Grant (3 miles down the road) for the Node 2i so this may bring further improvements and as it stands I’m very impressed with the 2i.

Do you have the 2i connected into your NDX2 or did you move the NDX2 on if so how about the Naim DAC fed by the 2i?

Apologies HiFiman. I ordered the NDX2, but cancelled it due to various issues that people were reporting with it. Forgot to amend my profile which I will now do.

I have the Node 2, not the 2i. I was informed that the sound was still the same, but the 2i had a couple of other updates which I probably wouldn’t use, but not 100% sure on that.

Probably the wrong approach, but I was thinking that a £499 Node 2 was not a good balance when connected to the 282 and 300DR. I have been looking at several options including SOtM sMS-200 Neo Ultra Network Player and a separate DAC.
Believe it or not, I tried the Chord Qutest with the Node 2, but could not hear any improvement. My Dealer was gobsmacked!

Please let me know how you get on with the Mark Grant cables.

Hi there Naim_The_Dragon…As I have just mention to HiFiman, I did demo the Chord Qutest with my Node 2, but sadly didn’t hear any improvement.
Apart from my Naim amplification, a streamer with a separate DAC would be my box count.

Once the new cables have arrived and bedded in I will post my comments.

Interestingly last night I tried Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi on the Node and I couldn’t hear any difference (8 port Cisco 2960 switch) now back to Wi-Fi but the new 2i uses 802.11ac and my home is fitted with Ubiquiti AC access points.

Just blasting out Stanley Clarke - School Days in HR via Amazon HD and this sounds amazing!

1 Like

If you like Stanley Clarke - School Days, then try The Reddings - The Awakening Part 1 track :blush:

1 Like

How does it compare? Interested as I have a 1042 on an axis/Akito with a MM stage line. I’m thinking of changing to a dynavector
Steve

1 Like

More pictures please

7 Likes

Most of the recent posts should have been under different headings.
This area is for system pictures.

8 Likes

Another moderator than Richard. Some new staff for 2020?

1 Like

Hi Richard
Lovely photos. I have the original Contour 3.4’s and have thought about getting those isolators what Main improvement did they bring.

It was a sarcastic reply to JohnF moderator post…Not a wish .

Volume’s 8 o’clock position allowing Polina Osetinskaya’s Lullabies to be part of our lazy afternoon.

24 Likes

I got a Dynavector used on favourite website. Has been a big uplift. More dynamic and forward sounding. Greater clarity and great with Rock music. Good upgrade with MM phonostage. An improvement in my view. Have kept cartridge body for my Goldring 1042 so can always replace stylus if I want to go back to it. But, I don’t think I will.

Great pic thank you.

3 Likes

Thanks! The IsoAcoustics mainly brought superior separation of instruments, more open voices, clearer mid range and better defined bass. There are no real trade-offs, except maybe that the sound becomes ‘more precise’ which I think was an improvement, but might not be everyone’s taste.

I love them and they emphasize the strong points of our loudspeakers.

1 Like

I’ll definitely give it a try then. Thanks

1 Like

I think I got mine lightly used for about £250 on favourite auction site. Best of luck @Diver99.