System Pics 2019

I need to post a pic, as after a bit of faffing about with the turntable (got a new arm under warranty), my system in any incarnation has NEVER SOUNDED BETTER. We’re really really enjoying it, and listening to a ton of music. LP’s earlier this evening, then some digital Clapton, and now letting Roon do it’s “Roon radio” thing and playing tracks from my library on its own.

20 Likes

Nice idea, but I’m afraid if I pulled that off the wife would banish me and the system to basement.

Looks great Bart! Perfect placement of your power block- keep those power cables up and out of the way:+1:
ATB,
Mark

Try turning off the Mute button on the record out line. It should give an audible lift.

I am a bit of a serial box swapper and enjoy sourcing and listening to different Naim amps it’s my hobby and it gives me pleasure. I wouldn’t say I was searching for the perfect sound just curious how different combinations reproduce my favorite records.

3 Likes

Since reading your post I’ve been switching record mute off and on, but I cannot detect a difference. It just seems to make more sense to me to have it muted.

Richard Dane reported that Mute on the Record Out buttons puts the circuit “to sleep” on 82/282 NACs.

My 82 always has the record outputed muted and locked…

I’ve read that it should be “on.” :no_mouth: I might play with it and see if we hear a difference.

Thanks Mark and YES - buying the Ansuz, and having bought one-too-many Fraim levels by mistake, led me to this setup. (And this is what my dealer recommends as well.) The power block on the top level of the “brawn” stack is perfect for cable dressing the power cables! Keeps them off the floor and makes it easier to orient them vs. the interconnects. SO much better than the power block on the floor behind the Fraim it turns out.

2 Likes

I’d agree - leave the Record set muted. But, select the input ‘furthest away’ from the one you’re using.

1 Like

Looking good Bart, & all ready for the Magico A3’s!

1 Like

Most of the day I spend in this room

sTylBEoz6blSiIL6-pic-jpg

10 Likes

And that is fine; I have neither the time nor money to do that. I have a system now that far surpasses what I thought was possible when I first became interested in hifi music reproduction; but for me it has always been the music first. I would much rather have a ton of music and a decent hifi, than the best imaginable system and much less music. I got tired of spending time and money buying and swapping out gear.

As I have stated before, it is simply 2 sides of the same coin for the hobby - neither being “right” or “wrong”.

And that does not mean that given the right combination of circumstance and money that I would not entertain the idea of making changes…and in fact, the addition I have in mind would be with a non-Naim piece.

You got already a good decent system,keep up with your music,without music life is going nowhere,I also have around 4000 album in files on my hard drive,but always want more.

Surely there comes a point when your music collection reaches thousands of albums it becomes impossible to listen to the majority and it then becomes an exercise in collecting to simply amass, rather than listen and enjoy the content.

I have bought way too many albums ‘on spec’ and many were a disappointment and hence left to gather dust. With the advent of Tidal, I now always listen before buying (where possible) and am far more choosy in what I buy on CD. My collection is now far more reawarding and my only issue is choosing what to listen to. Nothing gathers dust, not that ripped files can gather dust - but you know what I mean.:wink:

No criticism implied here, just an alternative observation.

8 Likes

I use Spotify to demo bands that I’m interested in before buying any cd’s. I have roughly 550 discs and am still collecting but I don’t buy just for collecting’s sake. Finding somewhere to put them all is a bit of an issue.

1 Like

It’s been like this for past 5 years, but a rearrangement is planed for sometime later this year : )

35 Likes

Looks splendid…the number of different systems we can put together are amazing. Its one of life,s great treats.

2 Likes

I am at about 1.300 albums, and in general have slowed acquisition. Having everything accessible via the Naim app (or Squeezer in the case of my SBT on the second system) makes it all a lot easier.

The issue comes down not so much to gear or albums, but time - since losing my “real” job last August, I spend way too much time as a freelancer chasing a *&#$%$ dollar. Time is the great equalizer - the greatest and richest to the lowest and poorest only gets 24 hours each day.