System Pics 2019

Ask your dealer if a demo is possible. I’d be surprised if you didn’t notice a significant uplift. Perhaps you could ask for a stand demo at the same time? I did, and found that hundreds of pounds worth of Isoblue and Fraim made no discernible difference to the sound. Perhaps my built in shelving is better than I thought! Seriously, the difference between naked 272 and same paired with 555PS, on those pine shelves, was phenomenal. The stands made next to no difference. I’m not saying that they don’t work for some people, but it’s a lot of money to shell out without trying first.

3 Likes

It’s a bit off topic for system pics. You’ll find my musings on the old Forum archive. But do get a Fraim before an XPS. It would be a waste shoving it in a wooden unit.

Then there is the problem of where to put a power supply? How close to the NDX2 does it need to be? Off course, I now have no funds for a PS, so it’s for another time.

5 Likes

Would be a real shame to spoil such a classy ‘look’. If it sounds good, do you really need to mess with it? The danger of these fora is they can breed dissatisfaction.

4 Likes

But is it really ‘classy’? And how important is getting the best from what you have? Should a £400 cabinet be allowed to limit the performance of an £8,000 stereo?

1 Like

The aesthetics and SQ are important and it’s the family living room, so a balance has to be found. There are glass shelves in there for isolation, a seperate hi-fi shelf or Fraim is not in the mix at the moment. Still curious as to what a PS would add, as this could be hidden around the back potentially. As an engineer, I actually love the Fraim - it’s a wonderful piece of crafted engineering that looks wonderful in the right configuration.

2 Likes

Yeah but you might have to factor in the cost of a divorce…probably “cheaper to keep her.”

4 Likes

Originaly I had NDX and SN2. Later on I bought XPS DR and it was significant improvement. I expect it will be the same with NDX2. But biggest step up was now with new speakers. I am sure SN2 is great amp and can drive very good speakers. My next upgrade will be probably PS 555DR for my NDS.

3 Likes

Thanks for the great feedback, most helpful.

Looks great. You can always try naim glass and balls, quadraspire q plus for more isolation without adding rack

Hi Mike, thought the XPSDR was really good, at least got you to within 70% of what a 555ps did at half the cost.

2 Likes

Thanks Gazza, I remember you posting something along those lines. It will have to wait a while at this stage, I’ve returned to being self employed and need to get placed for retirement too over the next 3 to 5 years. Though buying whilst working will be easier :sunglasses: From reviews, it doesn’t seem like a PS for the SN2 does a lot, so going with one (if any) for the NDX2 seems the best bet?

New sofa

37 Likes

Auction one?

2 Likes

Snap gotta be the Naim auction one? Nice reminder of a great day out last year, my the time flies.

3 Likes

Indeed it is one of the 2

4 Likes

Wow, that looks just awesome.
Congratulations.

1 Like

Works really well with the colours in the rug, very nice.

2 Likes

Good for you, Trueblue!

Brilliant. Well done @TrueBlue.

You can sit on that listening to your music imagining all of the Naim tests / demos etc of kit that the sofa has been part of over the years :+1:t2:

1 Like