System Pics 2019

is it your personal room Whsturm? or just a photo to picture your response? In all cases the room is superb!

Not mine I’m afraid but undoubtedly the piano will affect the sound (if only as a ‘bass trap’ in one corner!)…

1 Like

perhaps not, because the piano is behind.

Sekiro it is.
I’m a long time Souls/Borne fan. finished all those games multiple times. Sekiro is hard cause there’s no friendly Co-Op or Sun Bros

1 Like

Oddly enough this is the reason behind why Linn first mandated dealers do single speaker dem rooms. The cones of the other speakers can move sympathetically to the air and change the result. Dealers had to agree to this.

When multi channel became common, the criteria was changed to say that all other speakers in the dem room must be connected to a powered on amp during demonstrations to mitigate the effects.

As for instruments, studios have a variety and they often take some measures during recordings. The heavy cloth over the strings of unused pianos, foam wads under the bridges of guitars etc. But in a living room environment, it is the imperfections that actually give the audible clues to the brain that it may be a live performance. You take all those away and deaden the room too much and it is like being an ant sitting between a giant pair of headphones.

2 Likes

I’ve used my LP12 from 1981 to 2004 without any expenditure whatsoever. In the early 90s, I needed a new belt, bearing oil and lid hinges which Linn sent me for free together with a whole bunch of other items (suspension springs, tonearm cable, clips etc).

I then sold my LP12 at more than double what I paid for it in 1981 - I’ve probably lost a tiny bit of money if you factor in inflation, but in return, I received countless hours of priceless enjoyment.

That was probably the best hifi purchase I ever made, from a cost-effectiveness point of vue.

7 Likes

Welcome back, finned denizen!

Herron system with star at top now with ortophone bronze cart tight space to change media aaaHerron, Phono Pre& mono amps

As Ivor T at Linn used to say I think - same for multiple pairs of speakers in the listening room! Sorry AV practitioners!

A recent addition to my other system - a Project S2 stream box ultra. I wanted to get a dedicated Roon endpoint for my 1Z Walkman and this seemed a neat solution. Roon via my laptop was a bit hit and miss, especially with Hi-Res but this tiny box of tricks is really rather good. Rock solid wireless streaming (even at 192Khz) and a nice step up on the laptop on SQ. The USB DAC functionality with FW3.0 i didn’t think i needed is proving to be rather useful and driven by the S2, not far behind the internal storage.

17 Likes

No clue how it sounds, but if it sounds as good as the pics :+1:

1 Like

Does this suggest it could be used to Roon-ify NDS/NDX/ND5XS streamers?

Unfortunately not Gavin - it’s only got a USB output so would not work with the ND range of streamers. It would work with something like the DAC V1 which has a suitable USB input.

Thanks Gazza - it’s a superb sounding combination. Being able to add Roon and Tidal has been the icing on the cake :grinning:

1 Like

I bet it sounds great. Just back from vacation, was using ipad and some Bose noise cancel headphones via bluetooth. It was OK, but your set up looks…special😉

Repainted, varnished etc (lounge, not the HiFi!), so thought I’d post a couple of pix. I appreciate positioning might not be ideal, and I’ve heard all the pros and cons of stands (and tried a couple), but overall this is the best achievable compromise for sound and domestic harmony (and it does sound really, really nice).

27 Likes

NDS,XPS DR, Supernait 2

How do you find the XPS DR? I’ve just got a NDX2 and SN2 and wondered whether an XPS DR is worthwhile for the NDX2 if running with the SN2?

I’d get what you have into a Fraim or other good stand first.

Yes, a bit of a lifestyle/lounge/domestic balance in the mix there, but good to know for future reference. We are looking at new lounge suites today, so that may create an opportunity. BTW, interested in your choice of the NAP300 with the 272, do you find the larger power amp favourable over the higher spec’d streamer and pre-amp options?