System Pics 2020

Do you use the Innuos with the NDX2? My local dealer suggested that to me but I was a little sceptical as to there motives.

I have to admit that the NDX2 sounded very good and seems to have that distinctive Naim sound that turns every track into a jaunty foot tapping adventure. At least I thought it was the NDX2 that was imposing such a strong imprint on the music although I may of been wrong, you would know though having both in your system.

Any comments/info would be much appreciated.

Yes I use the Innuos with NDX2. I think each adds a little something to the whole - and strips a little something (unwanted away).

The Innuos definitely offers a seamless interface with Roon and provides a clean digital feed from my basement NAS as well as allowing me to rip disks when needed.

The NDX is a great transport. The DAC however is a bit aggressive for me.

The combo of the Chord TT2 and Mscaler provide a very detailed , smooth and if I dare say analogue sound.

I was concerned it was my speakers that were a bit edgy, but it was a lot of pieces in between - hence the combination of families I have brought together.

2 Likes

The right channel

The left channel

The snowy scene outside and the time of the evening are worth at least two upgrades. Playing now the ECM album AKROASIS performed by the Greek pianist Vassillis Tsabropoulos, music inspired by ancient Byzantine music and the hymns sung during the Easter period in the Orthodox churches.

42 Likes

As mentioned I had a demo recently at my local dealers and the system was a melco server (not sure which one) Naim 252 or 552 (not sure which) B+W 804 D3 speakers, NDX2, Naim 500DR.

It all sounded very nice but as I said there was a very strong Naim sound imposed on the music although I’m not sure if it was the Pre Amp, the 500 or the NDX2 that was the main culprit.

Fortunately I like the Naim sound and was pleasantly surprised by the demo and I can definitely recommend the B+W speakers, I’m a bit of a new convert.

I recently acquired an Allnic D5000 Dac (second hand) and am in the process of testing it out in my system. It has both (real time) PCM upsample and also convert PCM to DSD options which are interesting and a new way of approaching the issue.

Also being a valve Dac maybe helps to give it a more analogue sound.

1 Like

i like the seating position / distance…

very nice IMO

Hi scotman, you have a chord and ndx2 both in use? Why not Innous + Chord ?

1 Like

Nice to see an Akai GX77. I have one but I’m ashamed to say it’s in bits in a box awaiting a proper restoration.

But hang on there… do I spot a Nakamichi BX300 skulking on top of the cupboard??

That’s a good question. One that I don’t have an answer to. I would love to say it is to have the ability to use Chromecast and Appleplay - 2 functions which I rarely if ever use…

I have been building my system in pieces after hearing how well Chord and Naim work together (which they do). Purchased the NDX2 as an upgrade over my NDX1 - big difference. Next came the Hugo1. In came the Innuos (got a great deal) and then The TT2/Mscaler. Never along the way did I consider the redundancy.

Hmmmm. I have some thinking and tinkering to do…

2 Likes

:heart:@Mike_S,…One Of The Best Comments On This Forum.

I would be ashamed to have such a feature on my forum.

/Peder❤

4 Likes

The sun was shining on my Funk Firm LSD this morning just as I was about to spin it up.

25 Likes

Did it stop you?

No its spinning some Leonard Cohen just now. :grinning:

2 Likes

As mentioned when I went into my local dealers last week they told me that they use a Melco or Innuos server feeding an NDX2 or ND555.

Also as mentioned I was a bit sceptical of there motives because the Melco and the Innuos are servers which play music from there hard drives and also stream.

But I was told the Innuos and Melco are not really players and there suggestion was to use them as external storage/server duties.

If I’m honest I’m still very sceptical of there advice as there are much cheaper external hard drive options out there including SSD options than buying one of these expensive servers and using that.

I was going to ask if you use the NDX2 when your simply playing music from the Innuos hard drive.

Also is the music going through your NDX2 Dac and then the chord Dac? Is there any way of bi-passing the NDX2 Dac while still being able to use it.

You Want it Darker? :grinning:

6 Likes

exactly, thought it was ironic. :grinning:

Out of interest, as Naim dealers, did they recommend that in addition to auditioning the Melco and Innuos, you also included Naim’s own server (Uniti Core) in the comparison?

ATB. George.

I’d happily accept some acoustic problems if it meant a view like that.

2 Likes

If the glasses were shaking, I would put the speakers inside the room probably…and reserve the view for reading or dinners.

I mentioned that I had an Innuos then they said that it wasn’t really a music player and that they would recommend the NDX2.

I went in to demo the NDX2 but when I went in for the demo it was fed/linked from the Melco.

They didn’t recommend the Uniti Core although I think I mentioned it in conversation during the demo, I mentioned that there must be much cheaper options available for external storage but they said that a server like an Innuos or Melco and the NDX2 work well together.

I didn’t audition the Innuos with the NDX2, it was just another option they mentioned when I asked them about the Melco.

I’m still confused and was left wondering if they were just trying to push expensive unnecessary options/upgrades.

If you are looking for servers, like I was 6 months ago, then have a look at the Audiostore or consider building your own. I replaced my NAS with a Prestige so that I could run Roon through my NDS.