Is and NDX2 redundant in my system? Opinions please

This is all a result of a question posed to me recently by T38.45 (below is the link)

I have been building my system in pieces after hearing how well Chord and Naim work together (which they do). Purchased the NDX2 as an upgrade over my NDX1 - big difference. Next came the Hugo1. In came the Innuos (got a great deal) and then The TT2/Mscaler. Never along the way did I consider the redundancy. Never along the way did I consider the potential redundancy. Tunnel vision I guess.

I use Roon, but rarely if ever use Apple Play or Chromecast.

Can anyone chime in and let me know of any benefits I may not be thinking of - or should I consider moving on from the NDX2?

Any thoughts. All are welcome.

You are not the only one to use the NDX2 as a transport into a Chord Hugo , @Simon-in-Suffolk chose this particular combination and is very pleased with the results.

You may easy find out: put the Innous via USB out in Chord DAC and see if you like it :slight_smile: You may even top this with their Phoenix USB re-clockerā€¦

1 Like

ā€¦NDX2 only as a transporter makes on sense imho- you could do netter with melco or innousā€¦

Not really redundant - the NDX2 can work in one of two modes - digital transport output mode or analogue output mode (but not both at the same time). Either option will not be using the other option. I look at it as resilience. I would say adding an off bard PSU provides more redundancy with the NDX2. The NDX2 working in digital output transport mode is truly stellar - I personally am not so fond of its analogue output - but then I donā€™t use that option.

In my opinion the major advancement with the new streamers was the digital transport architecture and design - and that is what you are now reaping the benefits of.

The front end design is the same in all three streamers, ND5XS2, NDX2 and ND555 - with the latter having an extra screened case around the transport section

1 Like

The NDX2 is the crown jewel in my system. Why one would spend that sort of money and not fully utilise it makes my head hurt.

2 Likes

Exactly - when run its digital transport output mode its superb. There are a lot of fans of its analogue output as well.

When I spoke to Naim about the option of providing a stripped down NDX2 without the analogue output stage - they said the difference in production cost was too minimal for the impact to the addressable market. They have a product that can reach both markets togetherā€¦ pretty good product design and marketing in my opinion.

2 Likes

Itā€™s easy: just compare Innuos > usb> chord combo vs ndx2/ chord combo. Which transport is best : Innuos or ndx2?

1 Like

Trying that now, but I am having connectivity issues. I have contacted Roon, as the Mscaler appears but I get a message that states ā€œDevice Not Foundā€. So I am currently stuck in that loop. Waiting for a response. I was hoping the transition would be more seemless.

Thanks Simon. While I have your ear, why did you decide to continue with the Chord DAC (Hugo 1 I believe) and still use your Naim Streamer? I am assuming you do not use Roon, but rather the Naim App to access your music library.

I appreciate the technical input - as I have a rather limited understanding of that end. More relying in the ears in most cases.

But, if I can streamline things, save a few dollars (or recover a few dollars and allocate them elsewhere), I am all ears to opinions.

Looking forward to a comparison, but technology seems to be getting in the way.

I am currently using it as a digital transport. The inns is the Roon Core, NDX2 as transport then to the Mscaler > TT2 > NAC282

I have a simple Chord Mojo in my main system, but I do miss the Naim ā€˜attackā€™ every now and then. If Iā€™d get a Naim based streamer (please, my dear, please), I would not replace the Chord Mojo with it, but keep them both simply to switch every now and then.

Have things sorted now. I will do some A/B listening and let you all know what I find. Thanks so much for the opinions.

2 Likes

ARGHHH. Still having connectivity issues with Innuos directly into Mscaler/TT2.

Waiting on tech supportā€¦

Try perhaps just to compare first the sound quality for both not using Roon for now. Naim app with Ndx2 and the app with Innuos

2 Likes

Frenchrooster, that was my first thought as wellā€¦I would use upnp mode with ipeng or whatever just to see how the SQ isā€¦not roon in the first shot to compareā€¦

2 Likes

Exactly , just to compare both transports. If Innuos is better, the OP will gain money selling the ndx2.
For me, only my taste, the redundancy is more on Chord combo sideā€¦if it was me.

1 Like

Chord Mscaler review in the last Stereophile. John Atkinson uses the Roon Nucleus + with the Mscaler in usb, Dave, and 2 other Dacs with the Mscaler.

May I ask why you use the Innuos zen and Melco n1a simultaneously. I think to remember you have already responded to it in the past, but donā€™t remember why.
Because, on first appearance, itā€™s a sort of redundancy also, not ?