System Pics 2020

You’re welcome (after shut down has ended).

Thanks! 808 might lead to 3x500s… :wink: just visioning… enjoy the ride!

1 Like

Then you have reached audio nirvana!

5 Likes

Hi Mike I’ve been looking at system pics and I love your cabinet , it is exactly what I’m looking for . Could you tell me where you got it .

Many Thanks

David

1 Like

It’s a Charlton 2 draw buffet. I removed the bottom 2 draws when I added the power supplies. It’s made by Coastwood Furniture in New Zealand, who sell through retailers. You do need to cut holes or slits in the back for cables though.

I also have a three drawer unit in my media room/office. It’s a lovely product.

Last year, a Naim dealer, had a pair of Magico Q3 in a prety big room along with some Focal Kanta 3. The system unfortunately was not Naim. However i probably experienced the best midrange, clarity, richness of details and 3d imaging ever. Also the bass control was fantastic with clear distinction between bass lines and percussions. The Kanta in comparison was really confused.
As soon as my finances will recover after this C19 disaster, i think i will go for some S3’s.
At the moment i can’t see another product with sealed design better than this

Regards
Roberto

There’s a thread here about Magico now. Just be careful - the S3mk2 are very different than the original S3’s. You want the Mk2 if you want S3’s!

My system with new Melco n1z2, Uptone Etheregen switch, Farad linear ps to the Etheregen.
No corner bass traps and monster bass traps anymore, which gave not the best and enjoyable results in my room and taste of sound.

Uploading: 3E2B6FA3-D737-4349-B253-D5D6BA9A5F1D.jpeg… Uploading: 9FCA7678-C99A-4E5F-BBF3-332AA75FA8C3.jpeg…

29 Likes

Bonjour M. Rooster!
I’ve heard SPL and VTL preamps on Naim amplifiers which produced very nice sound, and I am using NAC282 right now (on NAP300).
I wonder what experience you have of your EAR 912 on 250DR versus more traditional Naim NAC’s.
Merci et bonne journée!

I had before: 112/150, 202/200, 282/250, 252/250, ear 912/ 250 and ear 912/ 300dr. The ear 912/ 250 was better vs 252/ 250, for my ears. Same dynamics and prat, but more textures and nicer tones, and open soundstage.
Ear/ Naim is a great combo for me. Tried Conrad Johnson with Naim: nice but boring. ( and tubes rush).
I hope it answers your question.

1 Like

ok, that’s cool. I’m not sure I’ve seen other naim installs with tubed preamps.
The VTL I heard was pretty sweet.

1 Like

You know rooster, you really need to give Naim preamps and amps a try! :wink:

Don’t understand the question, specially regards of what I posted above. Or you mean “ you really need to give Naim preamps and amps a retry ?”

No - sorry rooster; I was joking because you have in fact tried far more Naim amp combinations than most people - you have seen a healthy portion their product line. Good for you!

3 Likes

In 18 years, so each step in 3 years in general. The best for money and enjoyment was the 282/hicap/250/ cdx2/ xps2.
If money, I would rather be very happy with 552/500dr/ Nd555. It’s something!

2 Likes

@frenchrooster

congratulations on a nice setup…

if you think from the system POV - maybe the speakers are a bottle neck ?

maybe better speakers ( 3 way ) will shine even more… ?

any thoughts of experimenting with speakers next since they are the devices which finally make sound ?

My room is not big enough for bigger speakers. Later I will go up the Apertura speakers range. They are my favorite.
Mine are 6 k Apertura Altra.

I would go , in my next home, for the Adamante ( 11k).

1 Like

By the way, the Altra is 3 way. Look between the 2 X 17 cm woofers, there is “ tweeter à ruban « ( don’t know the english term)

2 Likes

A pretty easy translation. We call them “ribbon” tweeters - I have ribbon tweeters (albeit a lot bigger than those in your photos) in my Magneplanar 3.6R speakers. Nothing beats good ribbon tweeters in my opinion.

1 Like

A 3 driver speaker is not always same as a 3 way speaker

In a 3 way speaker…each driver handles 3 specific freq bands

In a 3 driver 2 way speaker the larger drivers will handle the mid and bass while the tweeter does High Freq duty.

In a 3 driver 2.5 way is almost the same as above with the mid driver supplementing the bass driver

A 3 way speaker will mean each driver specific band

Like in this pic for example

10 inch bass + 4 inch mid + 1 inch tweet

You will observe larger radiating area…makes music effortless

Best regards

3 Likes