System Pics 2020

You know rooster, you really need to give Naim preamps and amps a try! :wink:

Don’t understand the question, specially regards of what I posted above. Or you mean “ you really need to give Naim preamps and amps a retry ?”

No - sorry rooster; I was joking because you have in fact tried far more Naim amp combinations than most people - you have seen a healthy portion their product line. Good for you!

3 Likes

In 18 years, so each step in 3 years in general. The best for money and enjoyment was the 282/hicap/250/ cdx2/ xps2.
If money, I would rather be very happy with 552/500dr/ Nd555. It’s something!

2 Likes

@frenchrooster

congratulations on a nice setup…

if you think from the system POV - maybe the speakers are a bottle neck ?

maybe better speakers ( 3 way ) will shine even more… ?

any thoughts of experimenting with speakers next since they are the devices which finally make sound ?

My room is not big enough for bigger speakers. Later I will go up the Apertura speakers range. They are my favorite.
Mine are 6 k Apertura Altra.

I would go , in my next home, for the Adamante ( 11k).

1 Like

By the way, the Altra is 3 way. Look between the 2 X 17 cm woofers, there is “ tweeter à ruban « ( don’t know the english term)

2 Likes

A pretty easy translation. We call them “ribbon” tweeters - I have ribbon tweeters (albeit a lot bigger than those in your photos) in my Magneplanar 3.6R speakers. Nothing beats good ribbon tweeters in my opinion.

1 Like

A 3 driver speaker is not always same as a 3 way speaker

In a 3 way speaker…each driver handles 3 specific freq bands

In a 3 driver 2 way speaker the larger drivers will handle the mid and bass while the tweeter does High Freq duty.

In a 3 driver 2.5 way is almost the same as above with the mid driver supplementing the bass driver

A 3 way speaker will mean each driver specific band

Like in this pic for example

10 inch bass + 4 inch mid + 1 inch tweet

You will observe larger radiating area…makes music effortless

Best regards

3 Likes

@Hmack is correct…the picture shows a ribbon tweeter.

Other types are dome tweeter / horn tweeter etc…

So I have 2 x bass drivers and 1 ribbon tweeter. 3 drivers/ 2 way? Correct ?

1 Like

Your profile is hidden unfortunately. Would be curious to view your system :laughing:

1 Like

Yup…

I checked online …

Your speakers are 3 driver 2 way

The tweeter handles HF and the other 2 midbass drivers take care of Mids and LF

1 Like

Ohh…I was experimenting some days back

I wondered why some folks had hidden profiles myself

Thanks for pointing out :+1:

Let me un-freeze this…

1 Like

Very nice ! I remember now your system because of the marvelous tiger. Like the deco too :grinning:

1 Like

From what I see your sources and amplification are top notch

Only 1 final step …that is if you are willing.

IMO

Good luck … :+1: :beers:

My final stop , if I had a bigger room and much bigger cash, would be : Nac S1 / 500dr/ Nd555/ 2X 555dr/ Melco N10/ Chord Music/ Apertura Enigma.
Vertere turntable/ Lyra Etna/ Ypsilon phono.
And a view on lake.
We can dream!

2 Likes

Not too bad there FR!

1 Like

fr… best, there is a reason to live for,dreams comes true

2 Likes

Yes. Both Altra and Adamante are 2-way speakers; even if they have 3 drivers, they use the ribbon tweeter for the treble and the two cones simultaneously for both the middle and the bass, 2 ways therefore. To be three-way, each of the 3 drivers should be dedicated exclusively to a frequency range, with the crossover with two cuts.

Cheers.

1 Like