System Pics 2020

Pretty impressive set up :+1:

1 Like

Finally got around to fitting the SPU and got some way towards setting it up with a printed protractor, not sure Iā€™m all that precise with the overhang but the 2 grids line up as well as I can see, enough to leave it like that for a good 50 hours of playing or until my SmartTractor turns up. Tried a few loading options and 220Ī© has won so far, I only have that in standard plug form but a bit of running in and more experiments to go before I try to find, or make, a Z plug. The resonance is very close to 10 Hz (a fleeting wobbly between the 11 and 9 Hz test tracks) with an 18g eff mass arm, not surprised an Aro struggles with this cartridge. In the heavier arm I donā€™t find it too slow and so far thereā€™s been no mistracking. The sound is robust, very fluid and engaging, focussing attention on the performance more than on the recording.
I might be looking for a heavier counterweight though.

8 Likes

IIRC thatā€™s pretty much the loading we arrived at when playing around with the SPU Royal N at the factory.

US here so 3 foot. 1 meter I suppose.

1 Like

OK I see. 3 meters wouldā€™ve been more than 9 feet, so I was thinking gee thatā€™s a big room!

1 Like

Too bad you canā€™t find any turntablesā€¦

Looks like a fun room!

Nice system, and nice whisky :wink: (Laphroaig Brodir)

Can I come over and challenge you with a game or two ??

Simple by some standards, but very very effective!!! First time ever in my hifi journey that Iā€™m happy with my system and while many, many upgrades are still possible I currently yearn for nothing and just enjoy the music!!!

31 Likes

Youā€™re welcome (after shut down has ended).

Thanks! 808 might lead to 3x500sā€¦ :wink: just visioningā€¦ enjoy the ride!

1 Like

Then you have reached audio nirvana!

5 Likes

Hi Mike Iā€™ve been looking at system pics and I love your cabinet , it is exactly what Iā€™m looking for . Could you tell me where you got it .

Many Thanks

David

1 Like

Itā€™s a Charlton 2 draw buffet. I removed the bottom 2 draws when I added the power supplies. Itā€™s made by Coastwood Furniture in New Zealand, who sell through retailers. You do need to cut holes or slits in the back for cables though.

I also have a three drawer unit in my media room/office. Itā€™s a lovely product.

Last year, a Naim dealer, had a pair of Magico Q3 in a prety big room along with some Focal Kanta 3. The system unfortunately was not Naim. However i probably experienced the best midrange, clarity, richness of details and 3d imaging ever. Also the bass control was fantastic with clear distinction between bass lines and percussions. The Kanta in comparison was really confused.
As soon as my finances will recover after this C19 disaster, i think i will go for some S3ā€™s.
At the moment i canā€™t see another product with sealed design better than this

Regards
Roberto

Thereā€™s a thread here about Magico now. Just be careful - the S3mk2 are very different than the original S3ā€™s. You want the Mk2 if you want S3ā€™s!

My system with new Melco n1z2, Uptone Etheregen switch, Farad linear ps to the Etheregen.
No corner bass traps and monster bass traps anymore, which gave not the best and enjoyable results in my room and taste of sound.

Uploading: 3E2B6FA3-D737-4349-B253-D5D6BA9A5F1D.jpegā€¦ Uploading: 9FCA7678-C99A-4E5F-BBF3-332AA75FA8C3.jpegā€¦

29 Likes

Bonjour M. Rooster!
Iā€™ve heard SPL and VTL preamps on Naim amplifiers which produced very nice sound, and I am using NAC282 right now (on NAP300).
I wonder what experience you have of your EAR 912 on 250DR versus more traditional Naim NACā€™s.
Merci et bonne journƩe!

I had before: 112/150, 202/200, 282/250, 252/250, ear 912/ 250 and ear 912/ 300dr. The ear 912/ 250 was better vs 252/ 250, for my ears. Same dynamics and prat, but more textures and nicer tones, and open soundstage.
Ear/ Naim is a great combo for me. Tried Conrad Johnson with Naim: nice but boring. ( and tubes rush).
I hope it answers your question.

1 Like

ok, thatā€™s cool. Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve seen other naim installs with tubed preamps.
The VTL I heard was pretty sweet.

1 Like