System Pics 2020

The rarely seen other half of my studio, listening room and the main reason I don’t have vinyl, it’d all be covered in paint. A CD rip or a download file and I never have to touch my system.

47 Likes

Very true… I love seeing the big systems here in the big rooms. They look magnificent. The only time my system will see a bigger room is if we move home… or extend. It’s certainly been fun getting to the point I’m at, quite surprising the amount of improvements that can be had without going to the larger separate pre/amp systems.

My wife has just started taking an interest in how music can sound on a good setup compared to wireless speakers etc… my wallet isn’t sure whether that is a good or a bad thing yet!

3 Likes

Love this… back in the 90’s I trained as a commercial illustrator and used to do a lot of oil painting. Now I rarely get the chance, work as a photographer and Photoshop illustrator. I used to get paint everything… that and the glass of beer took me right back to that time!!

1 Like

The painting on the easel reminded me a bit of the Lemon Jelly album cover for Lost Horizons.

5 Likes

Guess it’s about the horizon, they both lead you across the picture. :+1:

1 Like

Essential schooner glass strategically located next to the listening chair :+1::sunglasses:

1 Like

Absolutely essential.

3 Likes

Personally I would buy a vinyl album that you had covered in paint :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’ve just bought this hand built phono stage it’s a Hagerman Bugle 2 pcb that’s been built using very good quality parts by an extremely skilled audio engineer. It’s Moving Magnet only powered by two 12v sealed lead batteries I’m going to buy a small extruded aluminium case for the phono stage and a larger one for the batteries.
It’s going to be a bit bulky with the separate battery case I suppose and also keeping the charged is a small annoyance but it’s a part of my wanting to try getting as pure a signal as possible to the power amp.
This is a real hobby for me and saving or trading for another black box is what I’ve always done so I want to try something different a more hands on approach even if at the moment that just means system building rather than actually building the components which is what I eventually want to do.

11 Likes

Unfortunately the Proac Tablette 10’s didn’t enjoy being switched from short to long axis of the room and they struggled a bit. So I have replaced them with a pair of PMC twenty5.21’s. Astonishing sound and bass from compact standmounts and great synergy with Nova. Plus, they rock which Proacs never quite managed

45 Likes

They look the dogs, Crispy. Bet they sound amazing too. Keep aspiring to audio nirvana…

1 Like

Great! That looks like a really nice studio to work in - well lit (North light hopefully) too with no direct sunlight. Looks like you sit at the easel. Interesting seeing how people choose to work (always liked to stand at a drawing table and have the work flat). Cool room.

Takes me back to when I had to wipe acrylic paint off the my NAC52 remote daily, and ended up wrapping it in cling film! Still spun records but was always careful with the discs and protected the outer card LP jacket in plastic sleeves so they were always protected from paint.

2 Likes

For us it’s southern light we want, and luckily for me it does. It’s warm dry and close to the beer fridge.

3 Likes

Of course, forgot you were located in the Southern hemisphere.

1 Like

Pete. Can I just say I love your pictures!

2 Likes

Finally added the ND555 to complete the 500 DR system. After 10 days and music on 24/7 it already plays with a lot of ease - looking forward to the next month!

43 Likes

Don’t assume battery powering will be better than a well designed power supply! Lead acid batteries are actually not as noise free as you might think.

However, the opamps used in your phono stage have a very high level of noise rejection - much more so than a discrete design such as Naim (for example) so they should work very well with just decent basic supply. Something like a SNAPS would be perfect and a lot less faff than using batteries.

1 Like

Thanks Mr. Tibbs for taking the time to answer I’m only going on the builders advice who had tried several power supplies that he said where noisy and it was that, that lead him to try the batteries but of course I am open to try other supplies. I have a Musical Fidelity V PSU that is dead quiet so I may try that and also there are a couple of PSU’s on the RS website that do look interesting but the general consensus amongst people I have asked does seem to be that batteries are better

No problem with the shine on the Axis platter then😃

1 Like

That looks like a fun room. This plus your verandah/patio out back makes for a place that must be good for the soul!

1 Like