System Pics 2020

Worked hard took some chances, Mrs Pete and had nothing 20 years ago. Now I’m just slowing down and enjoying myself.

3 Likes

Can you send us the memo please…

1 Like

Minimalist heaven. Superuniti BT feeding Acoustic Energy AE1’s. Running Tidal over mesh WiFi.

34 Likes

You need to be a bit older to understand it. You’re only a young retirement is meant for us old blokes.

2 Likes

have a bunch of Zappa books but not that one and now i’ve never wanted anything more

zappa is an underrated producer considering his enormous catalog and varied sources he
always maintained his sound and always put out excellent recordings

You will like it - very illuminating on how each track was put together, back story, when he played it live, personnel, etc. Let me know how you get on with it whenever you get it and read it. It is a ponderous tome, but in time and the best way is to listen to the album and notice all the items Ulrich mentions in a song.

2 Likes

there’s a similar beatles book that goes through their recording song by song that’s a great read but i’ll look for this zappa gem, thanks

I remember years ago when a number of people were extolling the use of battery power rather than mains, and in those days it was lead acid. There were lots saying, as you do, that lead acid batteries were quite noisy electrically.
I’ve not seen any information on things like lithium-ion batteries - do you know whether they are any good? (or NiMH for that matter).

Years ago I tried lead acid and NiCad but found non rechargeable Alkaline to be best. That doesn’t sound very practical if you prefer stuff to be kept on 24/7, but if you add a simple changeover switch and cheap mains power supply, you can simply switch to battery operation when listening.

@Bobthebuilder

Your phono stage probably only consumes about 1W or less (check with your supplier) so something like four 6V Alkaline fencer batteries in series for 24V would give about 1000 hours use. That along with the above mentioned standby power supply should last for many months.

1 Like

Liking your thinking with the changeover switch Mr Tibbs

Looks like the unmistakable shape of Kudos Titan 808’s in the foreground there ???

Thank you @Bobthebuilder

Quite helpful :+1:

Don’t you miss the remote control ?

Yes, Sir! They can be seen on the pictures from March 29 - linked above on the top right hand corner of my post.

1 Like

Changed from fraim lite to full fraim and added a PS to the HDX.

I was going to move house before lockdown so had the fraim on order for a while. I was going to leave it boxed up until after house move but can’t help myself !

I have a much nicer room in new house so will put it on two racks rather than one.

The internet is better at the new house as well so think the HDX will make way for a ND and I might enter the world of streaming … gulp.

34 Likes

I really like that wood tone (maple I presume?) with the black supports - looks sharp.

Thank you, it is ash though.

Well then it kicks ash! Nice system - I wouldn’t have been able to wait to play with my new toy in your situation either.

1 Like

I don’t but certain other members of the household do!

1 Like

@biddler66 Lovely setup. I like the ash.

I demoed the HDX at home years ago, a few months before NDS came out. I really loved what it did. I think I tried both analog and digital out of it. I cannot recall which I preferred, but the lasting impression is the sound was really fine/special. At the time, I was afraid of the price and the aging computer platform; but if I had one now, I think I would find it hard to let go of. FWIW.

Best,

Nick

1 Like

Thank you,
I originally bought the HDX for the kids so I could rip their CD’s on to it and then put the app on their phone so they would not have to touch anything. I am more vinyl but now I am working from home I use it a lot more due to the ease. It does sound nice and now I put a 555PS on it does have a lift. Only reason I am thinking ND555 is to try streaming as I have never done that but I will hold on to the HDX for a while…

1 Like