System Pics 2020

Lovely photos HH. See you on the other side.

Looks fabulous and much better without the turntable wall shelf and those Tab 10s look great seems to add more space around the equipment.

All the best

Yes, it had grown slowly over the years and its ā€˜too bignessā€™ was something I wanted to address. Itā€™s all much more in proportion now. Hopefully a different pair of speaker stands in the new year and thatā€™ll be it.

2 Likes

48 Likes

I actually like the tripod stands!

3 Likes

As my Fraim stack is growing taller Vicki (the wife) suggested I move the Fraim to the back room!

So in the New Year and as we need to decorate this room a hole will be made in the small partition wall to route speaker cables, source another Fraim base then split the Fraim and place this where the Xmas tree is.

14 Likes

If I had a pound for every time Iā€™d heard thatā€¦

Happy new year

5 Likes

Beat me to it Chris :joy::joy:

What I meant is that that will be the end of the re-jigging process. The black boxes and speakers were easy. Itā€™s just the pesky stands.

I couldnā€™t be doing with mass loading stands, am I right in assuming that the amount of loading effects the sound characteristics, if so that would be something Iā€™d be wondering if I have the right amount within all the time.

1 Like

Yes, it changes the sound. Iā€™ve filled them 2/3 full, which seems to be the standard advice. I canā€™t say Iā€™ve ever wondered if itā€™s right or wrong and wouldnā€™t even consider experimenting further.

1 Like

My previous Totem speakers had mass loading and without they were so precarious they needed the mass loading to make them feel properly planted on the floor but they definitely sounded better without anything.
The more added they seemed to sound less lively and bit dull.
Like everything I am sure it will be hugely room and speaker dependant. :+1:t2:

Itā€™s what Iā€™ve done drilled holes through the wall and put plastic tube in just to make it easier to put the cables through the holes

1 Like

With the new 555PS at the bottom, replacing the XPSDR to power the 272.
Awesome upgrade!

43 Likes

Reminds me of years ago experimenting with mass loading Epos 14 stands. It was possible to improve one aspect of performance, but not without another aspect becoming poorer.
Also, altering the amount of loading would change the aspects that became better/worse. A minefield in other words!

Of course ES14 stands were designed solely for use with them, and it soon became clear that no loading gave the best overall result.

1 Like

Ha, been there, done that! You know that is what you really want ā€¦

All the best for 2021 HH. Love the artwork - who is the artist?

Thanks. The painting is by Neil Davies.

Thanks to your picture I now have an idea where to place Christmas cards next year. :grinning:

Oh yes the 555ps brings so much to the party ! It transformed the 272 in my experience, especially after having brought in the 300dr as well.

2 Likes