System Pics 2021

OK I’ll ask it. Why is there an onion next to the turntable?

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I was going to ask!

1 Like

For peeling back the layers to expose the inky black darkness :flushed:

Or to bring tears to the eyes whilst enjoying some nice music……

6 Likes

Surely scientifically proven to aid SQ, no?

Ok, that shallot… move on.

7 Likes

American black walnut Simrak has just arrived.
We prefer it to the previous black Quadraspire Q4.

Smoked glass shelves are on global shortage, so Simon has given us a couple of clear glass ones to get us by until he can get hold of more smoked glass to complete the set up.

The quality of workmanship is absolutely flawless. Even the packaging is outstandingly good.
We’re very happy.

Oh, and there’s a new MusicWorks G3 mains block with posh power cable hiding under the dac and amplifier stack.

Best regards, BF

45 Likes

Love the new rack BF. I’ve enjoyed reading about your latest journey and it looks like you’ve reached a very fine destination :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thank you James.
The implications of one small request can be quite profound: “Can’t we get those ugly cds out of our living room?”

And so the journey into music streaming commenced…

Best regards, BF

2 Likes

All looking good Bluesfan and not a single record in an ugly plastic sleeve in sight :clap:t2::rofl: Enjoy Peter

1 Like

Ha ha Peter!

Just delectable vinyl records with (mainly) fantastic artwork sleeves, many within a handy arm’s reach of the sofa.

Perfect, though I do have to get up to flip each lp on the turntable. Then there’s the lever to lower the stylus gently into the groove. It’s all too much really…

Streaming’s almost as demanding. Holding the iPad mini then flicking through the Roon display full of artists, albums and tracks. Exhausting.

I think I’d better have a sit down… :laughing:

6 Likes

You are not the first to wonder why there is an onion by the turntable and the answer is that the kitchen is right next door…:sunglasses:
No not really, It’s an “egg” in cherry wood made by a local carpenter. It is perfectly balanced, so at the slightest incline on, for example, a shelf, it rolls away. Works like a round spirit level, you could say, but I have it mostly because it looks good.

8 Likes

Those Simraks are beautiful looking creations. Simon really is a master of his craft. You must be very pleased with them.

1 Like

Nice rack!

In my undergrad years I would usually get slapped for saying that…

But it really is a very good looking setup - I like it alot.

2 Likes

A very nice system, the rack looks lovely.

2 Likes

I haven’t noticed till now that you have no more the 52/135 . Do you enjoy the Chord Etude ? Should sound different, not?

Yes FR. After years and years of delightful performance from the 52/135s, we have been looking to downsize (but not downgrade) the system, as the box count is just too high.

I made the mistake of mentioning this to our local friendly dealer. We talked about Vitus, Accuphase and Sim Audio Moon integrateds (@Naim.Marketing, that’s a hint for you and Naim’s R&D team!) but none of them quite lit our fire. However, our dealer said how about downsizing to a 2 box amplifier. We never tried the Etude but the Ultima 6 shocked us. We ended up with a pre and an Ultima 5.

If there had been a Naim 500 integrated, we would almost certainly have ended up there. We are the third member of this forum that we know well, who has downsized (without downgrading) and had to leave Naim to do so.

By far the most complex and bonkers part of our system is the streamer but that has to wait until next year. The same principle of downsize but not downgrade will apply, so there’s still time for Naim on that front.

Meanwhile, our other Naim systems continue to be fab :+1:

Best regards, BF

7 Likes

So you find that the Ultima pre works better than straight from the Dave?
@Innocent_Bystander should be interested.

Can you already say which streamer it will be?

Hi FR, as vinyl has pulled even further ahead of streaming since the arrival of the very RED cartridge, we need a pre-amp to accommodate all the inputs.

There is also the small matter of a pre-amp which costs one and a half times the cost of a whole DAVE, so it should do better than DAVE’s built in pre-amp.

On streamers, DCS, MSB and possibly the new Linn one are on the shortlist, though there is plenty of time (a year) for the list to change.

Servers and Ethernet switches are also up for change if that’s where the benefit lies. No rush though.

We are incredibly fortunate to enjoy music at this level as it is. We’re currently playing Led Zeppelin’s Celebration Day concert on vinyl at realistic volumes and can’t stop grinning. It doesn’t get much better than this!

Best regards, BF

7 Likes

All you heard was “go out and spend some money on new equipment”, or is that just how I interpret it. :joy:

Scott

3 Likes

Indeed Scott, I am that shallow :grin:

1 Like