System Pics 2021

Just don’t want you to be disappointed, here is some system pic - Nait 1 with Linn Akurate DSM/3 into Spendor ls3/5a.

36 Likes

My temporary set up while messing around with the house. The rack is way too high and I can’t put the LP12 on top as the floor is too springy.
An old, humble but regularly serviced and much loved system with likely bottlenecks etc.
Listening to it now and feeling like one of the luckiest people on this crazy planet :smiley:

27 Likes

That’s one hell of a tower.

I hope you don’t get earthquakes where you live with that tower :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s actually two towers stacked. Looks a bit silly but saves space.

1 Like

I think I might be responsible for a few quakes due to the crazy speakers.

12 inches of unrelenting bass :grin:

16 Likes

I’m running the Core diskless, with the NAS in the comms closet in the spare bedroom, so fortunately don’t have the sound of spinning disks to deal with. I added a disk to the core to compare SQ (vs NAS), and found that heading the disk was distracting, and took it out.

1 Like

They’re interesting looking speakers Boddah. What are they ?

1 Like

As my wife said when I mentioned the option of the 252/Supercap (and the price of it), “would it make you happy?”

That’s the ultimate test for me : could it be better? Probably, although at this point I would probably need to look at room treatment, and being the lounge, that’s not going to be happening. Do I worry that it could be better? Not at all - it’s sounding fantastic.

4 Likes

Lordy.

I don’t currently have any marriage plans, but if I ever do, I now have a much clearer idea of how to structure the prenup…

6 Likes

Pedestrian ? A walker ? Opposed to a driver? So slow ? Didn’t found the meaning.

4 Likes

I googled it earlier to have a look at what the definition is as a describing word… It means “dull, boring or ordinary”.

So to rephrase the sentence… @Pete_the_painter 's amp is dull and boring.

3 Likes

You have posted pictures of these before (i assume it is the same person), and i asked you the same question then. Can you remind me what speakers they are?

The only few speakers i can think of with upward firing bass drivers are the apple HomePod and the bose soundbar subwoofer.

How does it sound compared to the usual low or downward mounting? I assume you get less room gain and booming but potentially a dry and firm bass instead??

They are diy speakers, apparently a German design. I haven’t been able to find anything on the internet about them. I bought them for $50 with Philips drivers that all needed new surrounds. I wish I could take credit for the cabinets as they are really well made. I replaced the drivers with some cheap ones and was amazed at what they can do. I intend to refurbish with quality components at some stage, I still have a lot to learn but really enjoy the hands on approach. I loved Mark84’s journey with his speaker build which prompted me to get these big lummoxes’ out of storage.

4 Likes

Yes apparently the 252 is dull and boring. :grin:

3 Likes

I feel in their current configuration they could benefit from more power than my NAP 155 gives them, I hope to replace drivers and crossovers with some quality components but would like to learn a lot more before I take the plunge. All that said I have faith that these speakers will eventually sing.

Quite why my little throwaway comment matters a jot to anyone is beyond me. If someone is happy with what they have got then who cares what anyone else thinks? Have confidence in your purchases. If someone made a comment about any part of my system that I disagreed with I really wouldn’t care less.

I find these ‘you can’t say that because it might upset people’ comments rather worrying. What about freedom of expression? Do we all have to fawn every time someone makes an expensive purchase and say ‘congratulations’ or ‘ooh, I simply love that system, or ‘I love that room, you are so lucky’.

My comment was to @GraemeH in the context of his setup and nothing more. Anyone who has upgraded from 252 to 552 will know exactly what I mean.

7 Likes

Very nice. They do look good :+1:

1 Like

Probably a good idea to get back to pictures…

9 Likes

Not many pictures at the moment so here’s a new snap of my system.

The only difference now is that the 252 is run in and now sounding rather lovely. After an initial wobble I’m pleased to say that the upgrade worked out well.

30 Likes