System Pics 2021

Yes it is mate. It was delivered in June.

1 Like

They are Ruark CL 20ā€™s.

1 Like

Spot on @Richard.Dane
It has the External PSU which you can see top left, The platter is the Glass one.
Cost me Ā£75 (no arm)
The Tonearm also has the FD200 fluid damper, needed to provide a match with the Dynavector 10 x 5.
And even I can hear the difference with that addition.
@james_n The mains strip will be moved to the lower deck with the PSUs and as mentioned elsewhere the Quad 34 will go.
I was thinking of hiding the power strip :smiley:
The serial number on the back of the turntable is 89-270822
The finish on the edges and the deck is black ash, but Iā€™m not convinced :slight_smile:
The mount for the Tonearm is mdf
@frenchrooster Apologies this one is soooo dusty - we had a kitchen rebuild and we are still finding dust everywhere! I think the SME is a Badge the previous owner stuck on the plinth ? but I could be wrong, maybe it was shipped with an SME and he removed it and sold the arm separately. I didnā€™t want to remove it as I feel pretty sure it would leave an unsightly mess.
I got the deck about 10 years ago.

1 Like

Yes, the badge made confusion. But it looks cool.
I was thinking of the last SME 6 turntable.

Picture from SME site

1 Like

I wonder if there is any downside (sonic) to using something like the Grahams Hydra compared to a distribution block with multiple leadsā€¦

1 Like

Given how much each of my Powerlines cost, plus the Musicworks Sparkly Bottom G3 (I think) powerboard costs, I wonder the same thingā€¦

FR
Can you enlighten me as to what this is and what it means?

I translated the specs of my speakers, from french. I canā€™t unfortunately enlighten you on that Bailyhill. The speakers are Apertura Altra.

Swings and Roundabouts- some prefer the Hydra solution, some distribution blocks. One you need to try for yourself. The Hydra is a neat and effective solution especially if youā€™re limited on mains sockets and makes cable dressing easier too.

@steviebee IIRC Nigel @anon4489532 has recently gone the Musicworks to Hydra route so may be able to comment.

5 Likes

Hydras were / are a neat solution and bought sonic benefit v multiple standard cables but then came power lines - from memory they were cĀ£400 when first released and they delivered an upgrade to the sound and a significant one too - way more than the hydra.

You pay your money and make your choices I guess. Itā€™s a shame the power lines have now reached the price they are - an over 50% increase in a relatively short time does feel a tad unreasonable to meā€¦ā€¦

H

3 Likes

Probably Just fancy ways of saying they designed a speaker with a natural sounding crossover, good quality parts and internal bracing.

James, itā€™s hard to say as it was part of a complete system change, but yes I swapped Ā£4,000 of MusicWorks block and four Powerlines for a Ā£170 Hydra and my world hasnā€™t fallen apart.

5 Likes

The great thing of these hydras is that they have an equal earthing arrangement - all tentacles are equally long and there is no worry which cable should be used to which device since it does not matter. I like it and have it.

3 Likes

+1 here.

And - Hydraā€™s are (compared to most other optionsā€¦) quite cost effective. IMO - :sunglasses:

YMMV, its the Interwebzzzzā€¦

Time for a picture, methinks.

38 Likes

Visited their web site. Very cool. I love the passion, I can see why you like the approach. I love ribbon tweeters.

1 Like

For me personally - my main reason of choosing a Niagara 1200 was around the additional protection it provided, whilst trying to minimise detrimental impact on SQ. For me, i wasnā€™t focused on it improving SQ per se, more about minimising negative impact.

Thanks. I like them because they are very fast, airy, and without any hardness or brightness. They donā€™t give the last word in bass, but it accommodates me very well as my room is not so big.

1 Like

Love your decor Nigel.
Beautiful room.

I see Isoblueā€¦ I likeā€¦ :blush: