System Pics 2021

I would put the Aria and its cables well away from any power supplies. (Also well away from any consumer electronics which likely have the potential to degrade that very delicate signal).
Who knows, perhaps siting it carefully might show its true abilities to be better than the SN3 phono stage?

1 Like

We have several Internet Radio units around the home now. It’s interesting and convenient and not a bad source of good music at all; but I remember what good FM sounds like. Having an FM aerial installed in an apartment building is not easy of course. FM is another of those good things that the dictatorship of convenience is deleting from our lives. I think that if we look at how something else not ourselves is deciding for how life goes, it’s frightening.
Best,
M.

5 Likes

There doesn’t have to be an inevitability about this but I do think it’s sometimes a good idea to hear some systems and reconcile the improvements with cost etc. it then helps with a plan to the end game. I know some people say don’t listen to anything you can’t afford but it can make you feel more content with what you already have!

If a 300 is in the frame then it makes sense to go there in one go, even if that means keeping your existing speakers. I was amazed what the 300 did for my S20’s. For the price of the change used Titans would have been doable but to be honest the transformation of the S20’s was so great I have my doubts which would be better, and the S20’s work really well visually and sonically in my room.

I wouldn’t go 300 without at least an XPS in the plan though, even if you temporarily unbalance the system.

1 Like

thanks - im waiting for a demo on the A7’s at home - will try to add these as well

1 Like

Cheers Chris, I’ve got about 9cm between the Aria and anything else either side (admittedly either side is SN3 to the right and HCDR to the left) but on some previous posts it was advisable to site the HCDR as far to the left from SN3 given where their power supplies reside in the chassis. So this was a bit of a visual downside, but, hey in the pursuit of sonic perfection…

I think my comments may downplay that I do think the Aria for the most part improves on the SN3 internal and together it all sounds great, however given the price context etc I’m more in agreement with @anon4489532 that given my front end, was it necessarily the best expenditure?

Also if anyone was concerned about the internal phonostage on the SN3 was more to point out that in my view they shouldn’t be, it is excellent in its own right. As in if it is a close run thing then don’t rule out the internal one.

Arguably my funds may have been better spent on putting the cost of the Aria at the time towards the P8 or P10 and trading in my RP6 and stumping up the difference and running them into the SN3 native. At which point I would probably then start to think about phono stage , what a hobby this is.

On the last para, will probably now result in a quick email to James/Henry at TomTom to see what that trade in looks like on any ex-dem P8/10’s.

5 Likes

Lovely space Mark, looking great.

I went straight from a 200 to a 300DR by accident! The 250 I was enquiring about had gone but a 300 was available. I haven’t regretted it.

1 Like

Bear in mind that the 8 and 10 need a special smaller wall bracket.

1 Like

Cheers, thanks for the heads up, yup I’d noticed that, I think I’ve seen some adapters etc but they may not be specifically for that use.

The adaptors are for the large feet on the RP8 and 10. The P8 and P10 have a smaller footprint than your P6 and therefore need a different bracket.

Cheers, never just as straightforward as one might hope, and I bet the holes are in different places for the attachment to the wall, hey ho.

They most certainly are. It’s a case of drilling and filling. Might it be worth considering moving the system elsewhere in the room at the same time? The turntable looks a little odd above the TV. You could then optimise the system layout.

Hi Neil,

I moved from a 200DR to the 250DR and certainly wasn’t disappointed, so doubt you would be either. The 300 is a fabulous power amp, DR’d or not and if not can always be upgraded to DR spec.

FWIW, I had the opportunity to go from my 250DR to a 300DR at a very good price a couple of years ago, however, my dealer steered me away from that particular path on the basis that (inevitable) future speaker updating would probably dominate if not overwhelm my listening room. That, plus the ever rising box count lead me not to regret passing on the 300.

I agree with HH that Naim benefits considerably from thoughtful component matching, and my personal experience only supports that approach.

Enjoy the new pre,

ATB, J

3 Likes

250DR/282 are warming up :smiley:

29 Likes

Someone is going to tell you so it might as well be me. Move the napsc as far away from the 282 as the lead will allow. It can seriously mess up the SQ. Also move the hicap away. Transformers are not the 282’s best friend.

Looks very striking against the red of the rack.

11 Likes

About the NAPSC and the Hicap, I need find a better place for them - thanks for an advice :ok_hand:… maybe other rack would a solution for that. Red Norstone has no more space left :man_shrugging:

1 Like

In the mean time the 250 or the XPS might be a better place but I couldn’t say which, neither are ideal.

I’d at least have them over with the XPS and 250.

Is your NDX2 off or does the front light go out when it sleeps?

NDX2 was off when the picture was taken

1 Like

If I may offer some advice:

Conventional Naim wisdom is that power units (your XPSDR, 250DR, and Hicap) should go on the right of the rack, and the 282 and NDX2 should go on the left. Why? Because the transformers in the power units are located behind the on/off button, and the configuration above keeps them as far away from the delicate electronics in the 282 and NDX2 as possible. The napsc can go on the floor, but still as far away as the lead will allow.

7 Likes