System Pics 2021

Had my nd5xs2 for 4 months now. Plugged it in, signed up to streaming service via wi fi. Very pleased and not had urge to tinker.
It’s strange but outside of the Naim community I don’t personally know anybody who has a better sounding system.

8 Likes

I recently listened to a XS3/ND5XS2 system igahman and lovely it was.

3 Likes

You really don’t need a switch to stream. Once you are settled in it’s something that you can consider but definitely not a ‘must do’

1 Like

That’s forty grand in today’s cash. Still, shows what a good investment houses have been generally.

The skeletal plinth should be mighty fine within your system. Would like to hear a Troika/Aro/Prefix once! For the looks I prefere the closed plinths. If you look for a closed plinth, be aware to get a good/proper one (e.g. Lorricraft) because some are only looking good but sound bad….
Enjoy,
Regards,

The house in Coventry…? Err, no.
Last Sold for £205k - in 2005.
It sold in 2001 for £117k - after my father died.

I meant that’s what £1,500 cash in 1955 is worth now when inflated by CPI.

Hence my point about houses having been good investments, as you’ve shown.

1 Like

I’m happy mine is working over WiFi. But the improvements promised from using a switch sound intriguing. Unfortunately the cost and effort to test it isn’t insignificant.

May I ask why you say this, Matthew? Where do you get wireless access from? Is it not a FTTH service?

1 Like

I do use an EE8 switch with my Nova and there was an uplift but it certainly wasn’t ‘night and day’. All I was trying to say was that it certainly is not necessary but if you like tinkering then have a go. Good luck on your streaming journey!

2 Likes

I mean the cost of a switch and quality cabling isn’t insignificant. Isn’t the English Electric one £500?

It’s a lot to spend when it isn’t universally acknowledged as being worthwhile.

And I’m not entirely clear what I’m doing if I’m honest. Discussion of these things seems to rapidly descend into detail IT discussions which are generally beyond my knowledge.

1 Like

Save your money, enjoy the ignorance.

7 Likes

You’re so right, if wireless is working and you’re experiencing no issues then there’s no reason to look at switches etc.

2 Likes

Managed to locate a used Fraim level for the ND5XS2 (top right) that was previously plonked on top of the 300PS, now complete :grin:

Left stack
DAVE
300HU
Mscaler

Right stack
ND5XS2
300PS
SCDR

Happy days.

31 Likes

How does the ND5 XS2 sound through the M Scaler/Dave? Is it a better combination (in your view) that the equivalently priced NDX2?

What does a switch do? My NDX uses an ethernet cable connected to my router. What else is needed?

I’d start here (quite a few similar threads in the streaming section on switches, cables etc)

Plenty of reading material over there to save diverting the system pics thread :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Nice to see the odd picture :+1:

3 Likes

Xmas pic time. No system changes for some time now.

21 Likes

Keen to hear about this too