System Pics 2021

Not an unknown occurrence with tempered glass it seems. I looked into it when a tempered glass shower door shattered as my wife stepped into the shower at my fathers house. The door was open, she simply stepped in and the entire door shattered.

Thermal stress (temperature variations) and finished edge quality can be reasons. Apparently it doesn’t take much and tiny defects or occlusions can concentrate stresses that eventually lead to catastrophic failure.

1 Like

I suspect you are right: the speaker weights 16kg and a big telly must be more. It was rather the vibration, but who knows. Despite my mention of build quality the whole setup has always looked really lovely. Let’s hope it’s nice and level and a new sheet of glass does the trick.

1 Like

Need to get the LP12 as specced up as I can before Mrs G retires, so something in that direction I guess.

1 Like

Eek!! That’s just nasty!

I suspect as others have mentioned there has been some stress on the glass from sagging. Bit of a shock and a hell of a clean up job. Laminated glass next time?

1 Like

Not a word, ok! Not a single word!!

7 Likes

There’s 7 more of them dotted around the room! :rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Yes and before the whole subject came up here :wink:
According to the limits to growth we are all screwed anyhow. That was a mandatory text in my first year of university in 1981.
I would really like to have a green alternative to burning wood.
I think there will be stringent measures coming in anyhow.
Then again if countries like Germany keep generating energy from Brown coal until 2030 things are not really moving in the right direction

I always feel in retro mode at this time of year.

48 Likes

smut, well done :ok_hand:

FYI, a couple of friends have had tempered glass shower screens ‘fail’ for no apparent reason, both after c.6 years. Both very scary (one person was adjusting the screen) and this kind of failure is recognised in the industry, and tempered glass has the (supposed!) benefit of not fracturing in to many sharp shards, rather it breaks in to less-injurious lumps (cold solace!) - think here smashed 'phone boxes. Tempering stresses the glass internally (within the panel), which is why protecting the edge of tempered glass is very important as @Elfer mentions above.

Thermal changes and loadings will play a part in failure (did you have the supplied pads under the glass?).

I suspect a glass/glazing shop will advocate something much stronger than the (cheap - £30 or so?) Ikea offering and, accordingly, much more expensive.

4 Likes

Exactly the same happened here 3 weeks ago. A week old shower screen/door scattered in a million pieces in the middle of the night for no apparent reason. With a very loud bang. An interesting way to wake up. :roll_eyes: It was replaced under warranty last week.

@HappyListener @Elfer thanks for explaining what kind of glass it is and how it can suddenly shatter. If I’d known this I wouldn’t have bought it in the first place. Yeah, the pads were used (1 at each corner).

2 Likes

We’re you able to find the Neat Iota’s to buy as single units? I’ve only seen them available as a pair. I was thinking of using them as an AV set up and can’t bring myself to have one go unused

Yes I’ve pretty much decided to forego one on grounds it isn’t appropriate to our environmental location. Despite having longed for one for 20 years. Just have to find another way to get that cozy feeling when we’re under over a couple meters of snow (as we are now).

Again, a tube amp in a stove hearth in the kitchen might be uniquely charming.

2 Likes

That is nasty @RackKit, I have Besta units with white glass, many thanks for the warning.

1 Like

No problems @Magpie - that was my main reason for posting as I’m guessing it’s a popular choice for many.

I might just carry on without any glass if the toughened type works out too expensive but it did think the glass gives the unit a higher quality look.

How long have you had yours?

1 Like

I posted some time ago “a journey or a destination”. You have reached Nirvana early and credit to you for that. I think your speakers look great

We have had our Besta units about 6 years now, they have some of our ceramic collection on top, light but precious ( emotionally if not monetarily).
I did cut down the width of one unit to fit our room and then went in search of a matching piece of glass, I didn’t quite get the colour match right but it looks acceptable, it was however many times the price of the IKEA standard sizes!

Analogue Seduction have a single black for sale.
The speakers really do a splendid job. I found tucking them away in the cabinet muffled the sound considerably.

I keep an eye out for a used pair. I would replace the pmcs if I could.

Just a thought when we were recently renovating a house in the UK, I asked about modern gas fires because we had an old one taken out. The heating engineer said that they may look nice but are hopelessly inefficient. He then went onto say that huge progress has been made with electric “fires”. In the end we did not pursue that avenue much. Visually some look quite convincing but obviously not as much as a wood stove