System Pics 2021

That’s the problem with flat top speakers, to easy to put something on top!
Our Xmas Robin has failed to find a safe perch on the 804s.

Belated Seasonal greetings to all on the forum.

17 Likes

It’s more than powerful with the Special Forty’s in my experience. At 50 on the dial it’s a borderline antisocial volume level, and there’s a thundering amount of bass energy. The room is pretty large.

Ah, if you’re not using the IKEA tempered glass, you should be fine then.

I’ll check the prices on some toughened smoked glass in the right length but the posts above warn that’ll be very expensive.

Cheers, Rack.

:+1:t5:

Maybe Pilkington glass as per Naim, but as I type I realise that could be very expensive. I was thinking my piece was about £30 or £40, but your cupboard is a lot bigger than my rack.

1 Like

Dining room system. The gateway to my wallet.

30 Likes

Looks rather nice at an angle.

1 Like

Well, he emphasized its better side! :wink:

Thanks, you are right with the reason for the hifi in the first place, did it sound good at the time - yes - why change it then…
I have not changed…(well maybe now I am loosing some hearing, and tinitus all the time) so in fact should write I have not changed the system, but I have changed.

Yes the speakers look rather good…

My son has his eye on not just my records, but my whole system!

Thanks for the good wishes

(By the way you seem much further along the path with your system, have you arrived?)

Yep, they measure 180cm x 40cm. A decent sized bit of glass!

Companions

18 Likes

No, I have two IKEA tops and two others, so it might be time to change the first two!

1 Like

Happy Christmas everyone. Just trying one of my beers here and enjoying the IBLs. Let’s hope 2022 doesn’t suck balls like 2020/21! :crazy_face:

25 Likes

Thanks Fergh. Your posts were a welcome post Xmas present: I am 64, also have permanent tinnitus, also have higher frequency hearing loss, both of which go with the T shirt at my age. I don’t have commitments so the outlay was manageable. I have arrived at the end of the journey but your journey and mine are the same destination - the only question is whether the kit can produce music you can enjoy. Upgraditis is an itch which is hard to resist, maybe for some of us it is a work in progress but I hope, like you, I can reconcile to it being the end of the journey, one which started when I was 14

3 Likes

… the SL2s are beautiful

1 Like

Naim should make it available in a Hellraiser edition!

8 Likes

What a great film that is.

1 Like

Yes, quite right, age related ailments, though work in a noisy industry before Health and Safety regulations demanded hearing protection may have contributed. However the arrival at a state of hifi that continues to offer great enjoyment prevented any “upgradites” and I am capable of resisting the “itch” and as I may have commented in your conversation, I am content with my modest system. I remember the guilty reaction I had when paying for second hand Alphason Sonata Gold and the (included) HR100S MCS, still working though maybe less used these days, but the sound at the time was for me more enjoyable (and second hand!) than the Linn LP12 (now that is going to set the wagging tongues!!). I know I should make more use but as I pointed out the domestic harmony has to be preserved.

The start of my interest in reproduction was while at school, and someone in the class had a family business selling high quality audio, and I got a Leak Stereo 20, Wharfedale speaker kits (it was some time before I got the second speaker built and had a 20w power resistor across one of the channels), and well, the Naim followed some 15 years later (lure of the transistor sound), however the Rogers BBC Studio Monitor Speakers preceded the Naim by some 10 years.

1 Like

Agreed. Still think they’re one of the best looking speakers ever designed.

Cheers, Rack.

:+1:t5:

3 Likes

Same here. Despite many years of practice still haven’t perfected it :rofl:

3 Likes

With all due respect,
Who buys IKEA sticker products for expensive audio equipment ?!

3 Likes