System Pics 2021

I am hoping that replica Rolex while look close to the real thing is behind on quality and materials like jewels inside, etc. On the other hand, with Eames lounge chair, the major differences lie in quality of leather, foam cushion inside, plywood layers and quality, rubber or hard plastic mounts are used in the joints and feet - the infamous “Domes of silence” glides. Premium replicas actually have very nice leathers, multi layer memory foam, rubber shock mounts, etc.

1 Like

There’s of course also a big difference in the function/quality. I suspect many people would be less bothered if the knock offs weren’t trying to rip people off by being passed as the real thing (the mentioned chairs clearly say replica) and sounded just as good.

1 Like

Thanks Chief. I got that recently vitra have just started making them. It’s a wooden rendition of the original eames whale they constructed. The new version is much smaller!

With regard to the price of genuine eames chairs, they are indeed a thing of beauty and I think each one is hand made. My copy is leather a really close rendition of the original but it is not as well built. The only thing I will say is when you look into the history of the chair and the cost when they were first produced they were only a couple of hundred pounds and I’m not sure even by today’s standards that inflation equates to a 6k uplift. You can get them second hand for about 3-4K which is what I’d planed to do at some point. Will need to sell a kidney first. I’d hoped for one as a 40th birthday present but that’s in a few weeks and the wife has told me where to get off when I mentioned it! :crazy_face:

24 Likes

WOW!
What a room and WHAT a view/garden

That’s the eames house. You should check it out online so cool. I wish I lived there! Apparently it’s close to the coast in California and there’s a view of the sea from the roof too.

1 Like

On the subject of chairs, if I could have just one it would be the Sam Maloof rocking chair, sadly it is something I could never afford but I content myself with having sat in one briefly

12 Likes

That is funky. Not sure it would do your haemorrhoids much good during an extended period of sitting though!

I’ve managed to get a fairly wobbly pano pic which looks ok on my small iPhone screen but I’ll let you guys be the judge.

9 Likes

Very steady, very level. Well done. I might be tempted to lie on the rug listening to music if I were you. :wink:

Haha thanks, I do that only when I’m drunk! :stuck_out_tongue:

It is a design icon, designed by two of the most famous designers. It’s made on license by Vitra or Herman-Miller. It doesn’t need improving. It costs £7770. If you don’t like the price, buy something else.

None of your business. Buy it or don’t buy it.

1 Like

Nice system Lewis. Interesting seeing the changes made from the last set up, esp from the 32/HC/135s and of course the Fraim swapped for the Isoblue as well. Good to see a UQ2 on streaming duties too - such a great little box. Can’t imagine ever selling mine.

Nothing wrong with Duggee btw - one of the very best recent children’s animation TV shows (Studio AKA are brilliant) and my youngest adores it.

1 Like

Very true. Thank God it is not one of life’s essentials. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Beautiful!

I love the K6. I didn’t know that the arrangement of the speakers is different between the regular ones and the signatures.

25 Likes

Did you see see/try the chair before buying it? We’re in the need of some new chairs and I have been looking at the Pash website. Mrs Fotobrooks would prefer to see furniture in a showroom, but not possible at the moment.

Thanks Yeti. Well I still have a 250 and the HC and 32.5 which I’ve decommissioned for a while as I plan to get the 250 serviced so have been using the 120 / 22 / UQ2 for a while. It sounds surprisingly good and propels the Shahinians to impressive volumes considering its small stature.

In respect to the Fraimlite it’s more due to a room move around and the isobkue works well where it is. I may keep the Fraimlite as it’s a nice piece of kit and swapping your rack out has the effect of making a nice visual change when boredom or upgraditus sets in (as it can do amongst us HiFi people!).

Yes I agree about Duggee I do actually enjoy it and it’s quite educational too. I find myself getting quite drawn into it when she’s watching! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Graeme I don’t think anyone is questioning the heritage or splendour of the Eames chair but it is an expensive piece of furniture by anyones standard. You can buy a car for the same money which is a moving chair if you like, far superior! :slight_smile: As said I will buy a real one at some point but I wouldn’t chose to buy new as I don’t feel that the commercial value is commensurate to the physical value of the product I.e. it’s a chair and nothing more. I usually buy genuine Eames/HM products as having had a long discussion with a good friend who works importing them you’re in effect supporting a black market which not only can be made using spuriously sourced woods but it also discredits the work of the original designers when buying copies. However this is the real world and not everyone has money to burn and therefore choose to buy replicas instead. The traceability and sustainability is more of a concern but you make your choice I guess!

Also, to elaborate as this is my pet subject, if you read about the history of the chair (which is what I alluded to above) you’ll see that it was originally produced to be a cost effective item for blue collar workers not an elaborately expensive product for ‘aristocrats’ which is what it is today. I think for this reason it acceptable to discuss the price.

5 Likes

Fantastic this shark!!
And the view garden, whouah!

1 Like

A little changes, not finished yet, for decoration. My wall is taking humidity and for now the treatment can’t be done. We are also searching a new flat.
So for now I recovered the problematic wall with a painted paper.
I have no garden, only when I look directly from windows. So some different plants are always welcome. On the picture a new plant, artificial this one. But looks very real.

28 Likes

How would they say in France, c’est excellent :ok_hand:t3:

2 Likes

Very nice.

Your speakers have different sets of spikes? Is that by design?

1 Like

No, chicken design :chicken:
The speakers mass sits on the three main axes, where I put Finite Elemente cerabases.
The two other axes are just for stability.

4 Likes