System Pics 2023

An alternative take of course is that it’s built to do only one task and to sell for as much as possible…

If you rip on a CD drive with say dbpoweramp and ensure it’s a perfect rip, there is no reason for it not to be just the same as a rip made on a Core or Melco. And of course, with downloads, the whole ripping thing is irrelevant anyway.

4 Likes

Well, this statement really pre-supposes that it in fact does sound the same. If it does not, and to my and apparently many other people’s ears it doesn’t, then there must be a reason for it not to - even if that reason is some kind of Voodoo or witchcraft - it’s still a reason and it has a very real effect! I would much rather not have shelled out £1K for the Melco D100 drive and I would not have done if my ears didn’t convince me to.

However to anyone who can’t hear a difference then clearly an expensive ripping device is a waste of money.

3 Likes

Rather than divert the System Pics thread too far, I’d suggest if members wish to discuss the merits or otherwise of different ripping/serving solutions then best to open a dedicated thread in the Streaming Audio room. Thanks.

16 Likes

Surely there can be a full thread? :wink:

1 Like

Sorry Richard, I post this and disappear from the thread.

Since the day I saw a Nordost internet switch being sold for about €3500, I tend to agree with HH’s point of view even if I don’t share it in full. Prices of audio-related things are absurd.

That said, back to System Pics. I was about to post about the prices of audio furniture…
M

1 Like

Here is my 2 TB SonicTransporter and CD-ripper setup.

Clearly need to dust the backup drive…

2 Likes

I don’t think the difference in sound is anything to do with how a CD is ripped, as you said, if the rip is perfect, it is perfect.

How the Nas/Server or Melco present the digital data to the server will be affecting the sound.
A couple of days ago ChrisSU copied an explanation by Steve H, as to why a chomecast stream doesn’t sound as good as non chromecast stream. Basically, the way chromecast transmits the 0s and 1s degrade the sound.

Presumably, you are paying Melco (or whoever) for their expertise in knowing how to present the data to the server, in order to optimise SQ.

I will confess to having an ‘audiophile’ switch, an EE 8 switch, though it cost £500 rather than thousands, but as for furniture, I have this…

16 Likes

You really haven’t heard that album until you’ve played it on a Nait 2 into SL2s :wink:

1 Like

another Nova and vote for simplicity here…

35 Likes

I agree speaker matching is key for the Nova, I have just replaced the KeF LS50 Meta’s with the Dynaudio Evoke 20’s, yes a bit more investment but so much more musical and a great pairing.

7 Likes

My phono stage is currently at the factory for an upgrade. My CEC cd player is in for a service but the rest of my setup didn’t look too bad today in the sunlight.

28 Likes

Love that deck. Hope it’s all sounding as good as it looks 8)

1 Like

To help get us back to pics, here’s the New Classic 300 series stack playing at Audio Advice Live in Raleigh this weekend. Of all the systems I heard today it’s the only one I’d trade my system for!

26 Likes

Added two LDA/MCRU LPS’ for the Pulsemini and HugoTT. The blue lights are obnoxious so debating whether to hide them under the rack.

23 Likes

Still assessing/auditioning, lent by a generous friend. Bass very fast but need very careful positioning.

Very different from Harbeths that I have the past 13years. Still trying to figure out which I prefer

1 Like

Thanks for your response. Very exciting. Enjoy

A very elegant solution. I think I understand well the urge to reduce, optimize and make things visually cool.
I have browsed for more racks or shelves to place my TEAC, Thorens and SN on than I previously did for speakers…
I am also rearranging the room after S. left. It will take a while, but I plan to end with spaces as modern and cozy as I remember yours are.

Best,
M

Agree with that!

Curiously, over my many years of interest in hi-fi, some of the very nicest and most enjoyably entertaining systems I’ve heard have been relatively low-cost and humble. A lesson there somewhere perhaps…

3 Likes

I covered mine with a bit of film to reduce the blue laser