Tangerine Audio Karmen

Just stumped up for a Evenstar with Cymbiosis ahead of a trip back to Blighty later this month when I’ll pick it up. Bought it blind, but figuring it’s about the easiest upgrade to remove if I don’t like it, and not the most expensive either. The reviews all seem very positive from what I’ve read so far though, so looking forward to taking it for a spin (did you see what I did there?)

2 Likes

Seems like Tangerine Audio are now in the taxi top advertising business…

4 Likes

I see next a Tangerine titanium keel and a rare exotic wood plinth for another 20 k :joy:

2 Likes

That’s a really nice (painted?) finish on that plinth.

1 Like

Hello Graham , you mentioned some LS3/5 Falcon type speakers and a Nait 2 . Would this be with your Nait tuner and a second system perhaps :thinking:?.

Yes, Ian, very much so. This is my proposed bedroom system, to replace the (very good) Tivoli Model 2, which would move down to the kitchen. The Tivoli is great when it works, but can be infuriatingly difficult to tune to Radio 3 when I go to bed at nights.

I have a late production model Olive Nait2 (with CD rather than AUX on the input selector) and a NAT-02 tuner, which have been sitting around unused for far too long. I have a pair of cherrywood Kestrel LS3/5As on order with James at TomTom Audio. So all that I need to make music is some NACA5 and speaker stands, which I’m trying to source through TomTom.

I am also considering having a cherrywood case made for the Nait and NAT, so that I can pretend that I’m living in the 1950s or 1960s, with an upmarket radiogram - although Richard Dane (if my memory is correct) has warned about excessive heat leading to thermal cut-out.

I’m also considering using a long-boxed-up nVi (which doesn’t have the FM tuner module installed) to play CDs, but that may be a step too far at the moment. Some day, maybe.

It should be fun! I hope so anyway.

1 Like

Hi Graham

It sounds good to me, Witch Hat Phantom is a very credible alternative to NAC 5.

The cherry wood box can easily be made with a few inches spare for heat and if the nVi doesn’t work I have an olive CD3 spare which I can let you have free of charge (you’ll have to buy a remote, but that’s a tenner from Amazon)

Goodness, Ian, that’s a very generous offer. Are you sure? Why don’t you want to keep the CD3?

1 Like

Hi Graham , if your nVi doesn’t work , more than happy.

I have a CDX2 and would love to send my CD3 to an olive home, where it will be happy

I am a hoarder and this sat unused for twenty years , after my CDX2 purchase . I sent the CDX 2 for a service and got this out in Jan 2022 , worked fine. Lovely sound

Ian, that is extraordinarily kind, and it would be wonderful to have a working CDP for my nascent bedroom system. I would insist on lobbing a couple of hundred squids, though, to a charity of your choosing - would £250 be fair?

1 Like

Absolutely Not - it’s just taking up space and I want it to go to a good home

I’ll contact Richard so we can continue privately

I don’t know if it’s painted, but I agree the finish is nice.

1 Like

Looks like the piano black gloss finish than Linn can provide

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.