Target audience for the new classic range

I think entry into Naim is easy, if that’s what you want to spend your money on. In the last 20 years my amp journey alone has been:

Nait 3 (second hand)
Nait 5 (ex dem)
Classic 202/200 (second hand)
Classic 282/300 (ex dem)

My total spend over 20 years on all of that has been under £12k.

That’s probably less than golf membership over the same period.

2 Likes

Yes that was the record company rip-off when CDs were introduced (double vinyl cost) but then came down to say £8.99 later.

1 Like

Same here to be honest, there’s always something better or different no matter what you’re buying. It was already my intention to stick at a certain point and then get the boxes serviced and be happy with it for many years.

The new range looks to be fantastic but then so is the current/old classic series, and the ones before, it hasn’t changed overnight. My aspirations to try a 252 haven’t changed either. From what people are saying the new boxes have a slightly different sound, I love the sound of the current/old range so that’s not a big reason for me, plus there’s still plenty of scope for tinkering with what I have :slightly_smiling_face:

Mark

1 Like

The new equipment looks great I’m glad to have what might be the last “ classic “ interpretation of the Supernait 3 and I really enjoy my CD5SI as well.
I bought into Naim not only for the build quality and SQ but the longevity of the product support.
I’ve been very disappointed with another manufacturer that basically told me when I had a problem that the box was no longer supported and I’d be best to sell it for spares or “ recycle “ it in polite terms.
This new range might do very well at bringing new blood into the hobby having had the “Naim” no pun intended put about with recognition of the Muso range.
New times. :thinking:

1 Like

It can, but another median income is needed to buy everything else necessary to live, or just get by. After tax incomes at the median are significantly lower.

Right. My point was that the median homeowner income is higher than the general population median income for the reasons you outline.

It’s even higher if you look at the median yacht. :wink:

Concerning the “target audience” for the new stuff would doubt the mfr. has one and will be content just to sell units to whoever can afford them

The median salary per month in UK is 2600 euros per month, so around 30 k per year.
In France, it’s around 2k euros.
So I can’t imagine that someone earning near 300 k a year can’t afford a 21 k euros of electronics.
If I could earn that money, I would have already a full Statement system personally.

1 Like

Naim gear was never cheap. And it’s got better over the years.

“Yer pays yer money…”

1 Like

I think that someone who doesn’t already own an expensive system would have to seriouly dig into his assets to buy the new Naim entry level separates. A bank loan, a new mortgage or an excision of your pension fund is always possible but would that be considered a sane decision?

Since when has buying hi-end audio ever been a sane decision.

G

13 Likes

Do we know for sure these will remain the entry level separates? The 250 was not historically the cheapest power amp in the Classic series.

An NC NAP below the 250 would make sense, in my view… :thinking:

2 Likes

I think it is a sane decision. Why do you say that? If one has the money to do so without getting into dubious territories like those mentioned by @cat345

1 Like

Yep. Although given the Uniti range is the entry point, perhaps the 250 will be the entry level separate power amp.

Given the Atom HE sports balanced outputs, perhaps a matching shoebox amp will appear ?

2 Likes

Meant as a lighthearted comment, that’s all.

G

1 Like

Sorry. Sometimes I over react to things that annoy me having seen a few examples on the old forum over the years.

2 Likes

Well, in my humble opinion anyone who spends more than ~20% (ok, 25% at a stretch) of the family yearly gross income on a car, or >5- 10% for the entire hi-fi system needs serious professional help unless, and only if, this cures a small dxxk syndrome or a heavy, life threatening midlife crisis situation.
… I know, I know, I am in

Guilty m’lud. Can I have multiple previous offences taken into consideration. :rofl:

3 Likes

Not at all.

Mind you I haven’t yet known anybody, family or friends, who understands my spend on audio equipment!

G

5 Likes