Technics SL-1200G Help

Deleted, please remove.

Deleted, please remove.

There are plenty of decent carts. A lot of SL-1200 users pair it with Dynavector MC. I use Sumiko MM like the Moonstone.

The quality and synergy with your phono stage will play a big role too. Ortofon seems like a great match with the Technics also but donā€™t always play nice with Naim phono stages.

1 Like

Deleted, please remove.

FWIW I used my 1200 with the Sumiko into my Luxman ampā€™s MM input and it was, quite frankly, crazy good.

1 Like

If you are crazy enoughā€¦ but need to order special weights from Japan as well. A real heavy cart

My other cart is the Denon 110 Anniversary DL- A110

1 Like

DV 10x5 on my 1200G - nothing to compare it to, but very very happy with the sound.

Not sure thereā€™s any good reason to start with a cheaper one other than affordability. Just take time and care mounting it, and cue up equally carefully at first, you should be fine. Whatā€™s the reason you want to start cheaper? The 1200s are very easy to use, so accidents should be rare if youā€™re careful.

2 Likes

The detachable headshell makes mounting much less stressful too!

2 Likes

Just make sure the cartridge height is 17mm or greater - thatā€™s as low as the SL1200G arm can go. Otherwise, youā€™ll be messing with cartridge shims or thicker mats.

2 Likes

Lots of choice all down to your wallet id recommend any Ortofon 2m cartridge or the Project which are rebadged ones cheap as chips too

1 Like

Iā€™ve tried a fair few carts over the years and Iā€™d suggest you start by buying a Denon DL103R and enjoying it for a while. Itā€™s such a great VFM cartridge, it takes quite a lot to beat it. Itā€™s not the last word in refinement but boy oh boy is it good fun to listen to! Itā€™s the cartridge equivalent of the SuperNait amps.

4 Likes

I paired the Hana SL moving coil (Ā£639) with my new Technics 1200 GR through a Rega Aria phono stage. Sound quality is very impressive and a massive upgrade over my previous Project Experience Ortofon blue and Rega fono. Your deck is a higher spec than my GR so surely it deserves the best cartridge you can afford to get the best from it.

1 Like

Yes it probably does but the OP stated heā€™s dipping his toe into the world of vinyl, so youā€™ve got to start somewhere and dropping mega bucks on a cart you donā€™t really know/havenā€™t heard is probably not the way to go.
Letā€™s say you have a Ā£1-1.5k budget, there are tens and tens of cartridges at that price point which are all excellent in their own way, but Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d want to spend that kinda money on something I wasnā€™t sure would be what I really wanted. Better (imho) to buy something relatively safe but decent for now and then explore further afield later.

3 Likes

Deleted, please remove.

Unfortunately, this is one of the cartridges that falls foul to the SL1200Gā€™s limited adjustability. Itā€™s only 14mm tall, so your VTA is off unless you want to use a 3mm spacer or a 3mm thicker mat.

1 Like

Fair point (although who knows how the OP likes to have their VTA set), but a friend of mine had a G with a ā€˜cappedā€™ 103r and it sounded wonderful. The Cap adds about 1.5mm I think and it certainly worked well.
Another option Iā€™d recommend for this situation, is something from the Ortofon Quintet range (Blue or Bronze) as they should be a good fit from the off, sound great and can be used as an exchange towards any of the more expensive Ortofons at a later date.

1 Like

Another vote for the Ortofon 2M series of cartridges.

Ortofon offer these in a ā€œpremountedā€ version. These allow the headshell supplied with the deck to be removed and replaced with a premounted 2M cartridge and headshell. So much easier than fiddling with bolts and wires, and allows for swapping of cartridges as and when required.

3 Likes

Hana ML would be a great match at sensible moneyā€¦

1 Like

Depends on your definition of sensible money. Iā€™d say that an ML is venturing into ā€˜Properā€™ money!

1 Like

in reference to a 1200g I reckon itā€™s an appropriate level of cart choice for the deckā€¦ Agree it is proper money - but so is a 1200gā€¦ I can only imagine the trouble i would have gotten myself into if my first foray into Vinyl had been a deck like this instead of my el cheapo Akai!!

1 Like