Technology That Changed Recording History

1 Like

thanks @IanRobertM very interesting - also found some episodes of american epic which they refer to - very good

1 Like

It is worth looking up Bing Crosby influence and interest in the tape machine. Bing is reported as being the driver for Mullins to bring back one of only two extant tape machines from Germany. Bing then had arguments about live vs taped recordings with his broadcast contract and decided to invest in the startup company of Ampex and pretty much cornered the market in licensing the use of these new tape machines with all the other artists and radio stations that wanted to move away from live broadcasting.

1 Like

Main difference between Bing Crosby and Walt Disney
Bing Sings but Walt Disney. :wink:

5 Likes

Goan yersel’ son. :joy: :joy: :scotland:

3 Likes

We are in Corfu. There is a lone Scotsman, even older than me. I always try to have a chat with him each day……but he has a broad Glaswegian accent, i sort of get the gist of what he is saying. He seems to be having a good time, bless him.

1 Like

Yes. Les Paul was also important, as well as Bing Crosby, in the development of tape generally and multi track recording.

Quote - In 1949, Crosby gave Paul one of the first Ampex Model 200A reel-to-reel recorders. Paul invented sound on sound recording using this machine by placing an additional playback head, located before the conventional erase/record/playback heads.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.