Tesla Model 3 - entry model or long range?

Well since the Audi system only drives the rear wheels if slip from the front is detected I’d suggest a very large majority of the time it is front-wheel drive

Of that I was unaware - interesting, though irrelevant to driving as It does the job, behaves impeccably regardless of conditions,

On IB’s Mk1 TT it’s a 50/50 traditional Audi split but can transfer 75% either way. There’s no rear LSD but it probably doesn’t compromise anything for most TT drivers - there my be some ESP going on to compensate for this but I don’t know.
It’s still a ‘proper’ permanent 4x4 system though.

1 Like

Are you sure?

My reading of the MK1 is that it had the Haldex system. This runs with just a tiny amount of rear drive until front wheels slip, ie a reactive system. This was changed for later higher performance models.

1 Like

I thought it was only later models that were downgraded but it looks like you may be right. :slightly_smiling_face:

No worries. All pretty confusing if you ask me, I am sure to ensure Quattro as a marketing tool remained potent even when much if the time you weren’t actually engaging the system!

Bruce

1 Like

I thought Audi developed their own 4WD system, as first seen on their simly named “Quattro” car back in early 1980s, as an improvement on something VW had done previously (at that time it was Audi-Volkswagen’. The posts above piqued my curiosity, and having no prior knowledge of any of these systems I’ve had a little read. Whilst only a superficial look, the first article detailed I found suggests to me that the Mk 1 TT probably had a Torsen central diff and not Haldex Traction one. Link: Wikipedia article on Aud’s quattro system

Incidentally, my one is from 2001 and has Extra Sensory Perception!

You’re right about the Audi 4WD system but the Mk1 TT had the Haldex based system due to space constraints in the drive train. Mine certainly did.

It might be worth getting back on the Tesla topic…

2 Likes

Ah, so it knows when its having an emissions test :wink:

3 Likes

They did for this one!

2 Likes

He’s got a valid point, though. Elon Musk is a complete pillock. Consider the petulant, irresponsible and damaging aspersions he cast on the hero who led the rescue of the Thai schoolboys stuck in a cave. It was appalling and a shocking aspect was Musk simply could not/would not accept he was wrong.

1 Like

The quieter the car the more important the stereo system becomes.

1 Like

Or the more it engages the driver, to the detriment of driving quality…

I own an Audi Quattro. The car is a 40/60 split on flat dry roads. If torque or traction changes the car will move power back or forward as needed.

You could be right but as long as I listen to classical music and not Def Lepard then my driving is fine.

Trouble is Teslas are only quiet at low speed. There’s no real difference in noise because of the lack of engine when driving.

I find it too easy to get engrossed in the music if it sounds good - and that would be worse if the vehicle were quiet enough to play classical with a decent dynamic range…

With the weather getting warmer and just right, when one does not yet need too much air conditioning, it’s nice to see the consumption going down to as low as 5 mls/kwh in low traffic!

1 Like

Thanks for all the contributions to this thread. I’m 2 weeks in to owning the Model 3 entry level, 2 wheel drive, standard range. So far so good. Just what I need for my commute. Excellent build and ride and scarily quick! I would say tho, I’m not that impressed with the paintwork. I may get a PPF wrap.

1 Like

Three reasons why I will never buy a Tesla car:

1)Elon
2)Reeve
3)Musk

What stunning reasoning and so helpful to the OP.

It’s a very good reason - some people have ethical values. Are you saying ethical considerations are not important? And yes, it could well be helpful to the OP - if it’s not they can simply ignore the comment, no harm.