That one go to track

We all have a varied and probably vast music collection, but I’m sure we all have a go to track that really hits the spot of our music taste.

For me I can’t get beyond Van Morrison and Sweet Thing, it really transports me to another place where I’m lost in the music.

More than one “go to” piece, and more than one that transports me immediately to another time and place.

1 Like

Of course there’s more than one track/album/artist but I constantly gravitate to Sweet Thing as a track I want to listen to more often.

John Miles - Music
When you listen to the (rather sparse) lyrics - My mum said that was me….

3 Likes

I have dozens of songs I would consider a go-to song. What I choose on a particular day would depend on my mood.

4 Likes

I sort of agree, but frankly the whole of ‘Astral Weeks’ and ‘Moondance’ need to be included!

2 Likes

Ultimately Flamenco Sketches - Miles Davis.

3 Likes

Interesting topic I was only thinking last night whilst listening to on of all time go to tracks Stones In The Road by Mary Chapin Carpenter what drives us all to a particular tracks and what it triggers. Also what drives our player for a evenings listening session for example last night our list began with and ended with following

Pin Ups - Bowie
Transformer - Lou Reed
Acoustic - Within Temptation
One Night Lonely - Mary CC
Tin Drum - Japan
Dead Bees - David Sylvian
Dirt And The Stars - Mary CC
50 Words For Snow-Kate Bush

Just wondered what drives other members playlist choices.

3 Likes

Cocteau Twins. Pandora.

Other than being a great track, it’s also quite a difficult recording that easily shows up anything that’s “off” with the system and ears.

4 Likes

The one track I return to time after time is …, actually there are two: Finbar Furey’s Lonesome Boatman, and Sandy Denny’s Banks of the Nile.

3 Likes

What a wonderfully honest and obviously very personal choice.

It was rather played to death on national radio when I were a lad but I must give it a listen again presuming it’s on the streaming platforms.

I can’t imagine Finbar Fury has got too many mentions on any iterations of the Naim forum.

.sjb

3 Likes

Tim Buckley - I Can’t See You

Jeff Buckley - The Last Goodbye

(The voice and ability to sing must have been in the genes!)

2 Likes

I was working in Prague when I first heard it in the middle 90’s; those Irish bars made the work bearable! I could also have added Eleanor Plunkett, but that was Zagreb, and another story.

1 Like

Always transports me back to 1975.

3 Likes

Interesting and difficult, I stood up and looked at my collection, nearly all my music brought back memories, good and bad. So in deciding how to cut the chaff from the wheat.
The three most emotional memories I have are associated with:
Itzhak Perlman Mendelssohn Violin Conerto.
Dave Brubeck Take Five.
Queen Bohemian Rhapsody.

Phil

5 Likes

Pink Floyd Us and Them.

But it’s hard to nail down one track.

3 Likes

It’s not the only one, and it’s very mood dependent, but I’ll go with “For a Dancer” by Jackson Browne.

And a joyful, uptempo one from a different genre - “Duke of Iron” by Sonny Rollins.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.